Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
What's acceptable when interacting with sites?

141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: What's acceptable when interacting with sites?
May 17, 2011, 21:53
thesweetcheat wrote:
moss wrote:
I would also pose the question do we have a right to demand to see every prehistoric monument - just because it happens to be there?

My instinctive answer is "yes". This is our heritage, etc, it doesn't really "belong" to anyone, each landowner should view their tenure as a that of a privileged guardian. I'm not sure about "demand" - maybe ask nicely? :-)

Perhaps the answer might be "no" where there are good reasons of preservation or perhaps privacy (if the site is in someone's garden, for example), that might be compromised by allowing access. But how often would that be?

If people don't go to see the non-state maintained sites, the obscure sites, the unprotected ones off the beaten track, they will disappear.

I agree with you tsc; there is often a hefty charge to visit the sites which are under the guardianship of English Heritage and the National Trust - the obvious example being Stonehenge where many people take their photographs from the wrong side of the fence. As for the other more remote sites on hillsides and moors - whose to say who is allowed to visit or not; perhaps the people who have already visited and want to keep the sites as pristine as possible - but surely that would be elitism. There are far too may barbed wire fences and poorly maintained stiles in the countryside as it is - the 'right to visit an ancient site' is on a par with the 'right to roam'. Long may it continue.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index