Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
What's acceptable when interacting with sites?

141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 19, 2011, 10:24
Re: What's acceptable when interacting with sites?
May 19, 2011, 09:19
StoneGloves wrote:
This is all well and good. Don't leave anything but memories. Save your footprints for tomorrow's children. All that stuff. When the monuments at the Knar were getting fed through the crusher and I was calling for help there was silence. Nobody offered to help in any way. And it's gone. (I've decided to be more Zahi Hawass-like). In Smithills there was a superb and original drystone wall closing the long barrow at Toothills. Now it's smashed. Nobody has helped with that. Delaminated? It's shattered...

Not sure who you mean or what help you wanted but I did explain to you that HA wasn't a public service but a means for people to get issues more widely heard but you didn't take up the opportunity.

As for it being gone, it's a shame but merely typical. 90% of tumuli are gone, Development invariable means preservation by record not an abandonment of the project and metal detectorists ask farmers to use a deeper plough on unprotected archaeological sites to bring the stuff to the surface. What do you expect? Conservation? No votes in that I'm afraid.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index