Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
What's acceptable when interacting with sites?

141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
scubi63
463 posts

Re: What's acceptable when interacting with sites?
May 21, 2011, 08:25
Sanctuary wrote:

Why do people need FB to keep in contact with 'friends', don't you do that by normal email anyway?

Well obviously you could couldn't you, but I don't think I have ever sent an email to over 100 people telling them how my holiday was nor would I want to.

But I think you are missing the point. FB is not an email system, it is a social network that has many different uses on many different levels. From little Johnny down the road telling his mates about his trip to the seaside with his mum to campaigns to change government proposals such as privatisation of the forests and to highlighting the huge waste in lost fish demonstrated by Hugh's Fish Fight.

FB does have some complete garbage on it but like many tools it is how you use it for your own requirements that makes it so useful.

Sanctuary wrote:

I joined but got out as fast as I could when I realised what a load of loons are on there!

Yes there are loonies on FB but there are also (the occasional) loonies on here are there not? The proposal that Stonehenge was a wind powered grain mill come to mind for instance.

Sanctuary wrote:

The world and his wife want to be your friend wheher you know them or not.

Yes but on here you have no choice about who contributes to the site do you? On FB it is up to you who you put on your friends list so if you accept the friendship of somebody you do not know and they end up being a loony stalker then thats your fault isn't it? Even if you feel obliged to make friend with somebody (such as your mates 10 year old kid) you can 'hide' them without them knowing and never have to see the drivel they are sharing.
Personally, I have a clear out of my FB friends list every now and again and get rid of people who piss me off or who just want to increase their own list and never talk to you in the street..it is as easy as that.

Sanctuary wrote:

I get pissed off by the FB logo appearing just about everywhere you go on the net, it's like a disease that they hope everyone is going to catch. Why?

Yes it is everywhere but so is a great deal of other advertising. Just because something annoys you the world isn't going to remove it if the majority disagrees with you. You will just have to live with it and let people make their own minds up after all nobody is forcing you to interact with it are they.

:o)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index