BNP are using our megalithic heritage as their own

129 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: Mike
Jul 30, 2005, 17:16
A symbol is a pictogram. It broadcasts a non verbal, non literary message. The key thing is - does the recipient receive the message that the author intended to send?

From what Mike has written - I don't believe for one moment that he is a nazi, a fascist or a racist. I don't really understand why he is compelled to use the swastika, but I do understand that it is an ancient sun symbol and used by Buddhists, Hindus and others. Unfortunately, the evil of the Nazi regime will be all that most people will ever understand the swastika to mean.

If I wear a cross - you will assume that I am a Christian. If I wear the Star of David you will think me a Jew and a pentangle will tell you that I am a Pagan. So it is that if I wear a swastika - you will condemn me as a Nazi. Its inevitable. Mike wants to change the meaning of a symbol overnight and that he cannot do. In displaying the swastika, he intends to send out a message saying that the swastika is beneficial and will save us from aliens (have I got that bit right?) But the message received by everyone else is that he is a neo-nazi. If Mike unilaterally decided that red meant "go" and green meant "stop" - then his next trip in his car could be his last. You just cannot impose a whole new meaning to a well known symbol and expect anyone to accept and understand it. Symbols only work because we all understand and accept their meaning. Fact of life.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index