Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
BNP are using our megalithic heritage as their own

129 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Treeman
65 posts

Re: BNP are using our megalithic heritage as th...
Jul 29, 2005, 18:53
Well spotted, Northern Hoard, and you have certainly raised at least one issue of enormous importance. My own feeling would be that if the BNP dreck take up the megalithic heritage in a sustained way, Head Heritage could and should become the focus for some valuable anti-racist work. Obviously any attempt to develop a nationalist - let alone racist - agenda on the basis of something as generally human as landscape modification is the product of a blob of rotting garbage disguised as a brain. Part of the liberating potential of studying prehistory, it seems to me, is the struggle for other than divisive national identities as a basis for a human life. As with everything else from racist graniteheads, the BNP position as described - being rooted in ignorance and malice - is not difficult to demolish, and that must be worth doing. I agree with various contributors that sensitivity is needed over use of the "swastika" symbol by authentic hindus and buddhists. That said, it is possible to discuss with people of those beliefs how the fascist experience has left the swastika a hideously tainted symbol in the modern world. Its use, certainly in public, could be voluntarily limited on that basis. Anyway, these days I don't keep up with what neo-nazi dross is doing the way I once did, so thanks Northern Hoard, for the information.

Treeman
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index