Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young

58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 05, 2008, 16:53
Re: which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Mar 05, 2008, 15:12
The two albums that probably shaped my attitude towards music (and by extension, life in general) were Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" - on this side of the pond - the Jesus & Mary Chain's "Psychocandy". prior to hearing those I hadn't realised that music could be fast, furious, and aggressive but still being melodic and tender within the breadth of the same song. If there are two records that personify adolescent angst with greater dignity and gravity than those two - thus not being even in the slightest embarassing to revisit at the age of 37 - I haven't heard them.

Others?

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
So much has already been written about this that trying to define its appeal any further seems futile. It took some time to grow on me, to be honest - initially I thought it was rather too smooth Radio 2 fodder, but then I got dumped for the first time, and guess which was the first album I looked to for solace? Have been a diehard ever since.

Various - Nuggets (original double)
Found the Sire re-issue of this in a cut-out bin for £9, which was two weeks' bloody paper-round money for me at the time. For a small town boy in the mid-80s, it felt like the gateway to another world, which in a sense it was - small-town America in the late 60s! Certainly felt like the genuine article next to all the Paisley Underground stuff the Whistle test seemed so in awe of at the time. Your parents (and mine) were right all along about rock music being a corrupting influence - this certainly made me want to try acid.

The Fall - any album from the Brix period or earier
Can't actually remember when I first heard the Fall, or what track it was - although I think it may have been "An Older Lover Etc." - but it certainly sounded like nothing else I'd ever heard, even within the context of punk. Intimidating and intriguing at the same time.

Love - Forever Changes

The Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II

Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire

Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Neu - Neu '75 (if 23 still counts as being young, that is)
This made me realise where all the pulsating, repetitive metronomic stuff like Loop and Spacemen 3 that I loved in the late 80s actually originated from, and when I first heard it in the mid-90s I could scarcely believe it had been recorded twenty years earlier. One of the rare albums I went back and listened to over agan a second time immediately after playing it for the first.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index