Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
the dude
the dude
312 posts

which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Feb 23, 2008, 14:26
dudes, which, albums, tunes ,really moved ya souls, made u feel completely great, when u where a liitle teenager person,
for me
ac/dc if u want blood, heard this as a school kid and it changed my life, before hearin this i was regrettably a 12 yr old mod, with a bloody parker n all, this lp, changed that,man crankin it up and the hairs on my arms standin up ,
black sabbath black sabbath similar effect to the above,from the lp cover to thr raw beauty of that record,that was it ,at age 13 growing my hair, and livin breathin the music,
as a teenager two people shaped my tastes, the late great john peel and the also late great tommy vance, the friday rock show, gave me a insight in to unknown and amazin music , mostly from the past have to say , i found nwbhm bit shit, but the older stuff grabbed me.
hawkwind, in search of space, i cannot live without this album,although first time i was stoned n listening to this may have helped, just the cozmic groove of it dudes.
mc5 kick out the jams
funhouse stooges, fucking ell made me the man i am today
roy harper.stormcock
john martyn, solid air
both made me want to xplore their works, and moved me onto a different tangent
the tear drop explodes kilamanjiro, again remember feelin blown away
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Feb 23, 2008, 14:40
I think it was Tom Verlaine "Days On The Mountain" as well as Television's "Marquee Moon".
the dude
the dude
312 posts

Re: which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Feb 23, 2008, 14:53
part 2,ok dudes,
led zepp 2 was 17 when i heard the zepp, and this was the first zepp lp that i heard and blew me away,
the cult,. love, again grabbed be by the balls
free,free story, this introduced me to the most amazing band
closely followed buy free free live in my opinion one of the best live albums ever,over to u dudes, but please no mozzer,this albums did it for me when i was young 12 to 17, been many more since , but these shaped my tastes, at a tender age
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Feb 23, 2008, 15:18
at 6 I was enthralled with the Oingo Boingo (Danny Elfman's band, brilliant from 78-85...not so much after, though the last record from 94 'Boingo' is great) record 'Good For Your Soul' which I picked from the shop for it's art of a weird looking figure in a tank top eating electricity. It deffo shaped me into what I am today....a huge impact on my artistic development.
At 7 I heard the Beatles for the first time and Hey Jude and Revolution in particular captured my young juju.
Also at 7 Hendrix entered my life and I loved manic Depression and Hey Joe...also G n' R's Appetite for Destruction came out and I fucking LOVED it. I wore that tape out in a matter of months and had to buy a second one!
At 9 I was in the parking lot of the druggist with my stepdad inside when I heard Kashmir. This made me forget about G n R and I hummed it over and over for my family until my sister finally recognized it and gave me the tape. Zeppelin was almost all I listened to for about 2 years.
Also that year I heard 'Stand' by REM. Upon getting the album 'Green' I became a pretty big REM fan. Everyone at school thought I was weird when I came in, a fifth grader, wearing the 'Green' t-shirt I had found at Musicland.
Ok....I then discovered metal...particularly Anthrax. My metal phase lasted about a year and ran concurrent with the end of the Zep phase and the REM phase. I loved Anthrax's 'Among the Living' and 'State of Euphoria.'
At 12 Pearl Jam's 'Ten' came out and the metal phase was over. I played that record over and over and over. I listen now and wonder what the hell it was that attracted me to it but I remember the feeling of awe I felt listening to 'Black' and 'Porch'
At 13 John Zorn's Naked City and Mr. Bungle blew me away...after that I was all over the map, devouring music at an unprecedented rate. Goblin, Gary Numan, The Damned, Faust, Can, TMBG, Blur all followed.....by 17 I was a true music nerd.
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 23, 2008, 15:34
the dude wrote:
but please no mozzer

How democratic.

Any other rules?

Is Val Doonigan allowed?

You've included The Cult, so you can't be that choosey surely?
the dude
the dude
312 posts

Feb 23, 2008, 15:38
nothin wrong with the cult dude,or val doonican,only mozzer
the dude
the dude
312 posts

Feb 23, 2008, 15:54
keith a wrote:
the dude wrote:
but please no mozzer

How democratic.

Any other rules?

Is Val Doonigan allowed?

You've included The Cult, so you can't be that choosey surely?

listen to the brian jones massacre dude, forget mozzer , be enlightened, brother
machineryelf
3681 posts

Feb 23, 2008, 16:19
Beatles-Red & Blue albums-still maintain that really these albums are all you need , the rest are just decoration and variations on themes found on these two

Free-Live listened to this yesterday , absolutely superb

Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath-equalled maybe, never bettered-my early music collection consisted of 3 Beatles compilations, all the Sabbath albums up to Technical Ecstasy and Tubular Bells, and a couple of singles by Curved Air & Atomic Rooster.
I also had the Mary Poppins OST which I played quite a lot pretending to be ironic but really I liked it a lot

Tangerine Dream-Zeit assumed this would be like Rubycon/Phaedra but as it was cheap I bought it. After initial surprise i.e when does it start, I grew to love it and still do

Who ¡VLive @ Leeds-turbo nutter guitars-classic

Ramones-Ramones never a regular Peel listener as a youth I heard this probably when it first came out as he was still playing prog at the time, ruined punk for me because I never thought the Pistols, Jam etc came anywhere near this

Amon Duul 2 ¡VYeti , Status Quo-Live I remember buying these together in a record shop in St Marys Street in Southampton, the lad with me got the first Dead Boys lp and some other punky racket-I often wonder if he is still listening to them, I know I still listen to these

Hawkwind-Hall Of The Mountain Grill-first Hawkwind LP I got, magic

I suspect I¡¦m well over my 10 limit here so I¡¦ll avoid Thin Lizzy & Supertramp, The Doors, NMTB, oh the list is endless ƒº
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Feb 23, 2008, 17:17
Feb 23, 2008, 16:19
As a pre-pubescent these singles ( amongst many others ) really grabbed me...

Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
Lovin' Spoonful - Daydream
The Who - I Can See For Miles
Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane
Move - Fire Brigade
Lorraine Ellison - Stay With Me Baby
The Four Tops - Reach Out I'll Be There
Diana Ross & The Supremes - Reflections
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Tears Of A Clown
T.Rex - Ride A White Swan

Although i should add that with the exception of the last one i didn't have these in my collection until much later in life ( thanks to wunnerful radio 1 for playing 'em )

But the one that totally warped my 9 year old head in 1970 was Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile - I heard this for the first time when it was released as a single after Jimi's death, it got to number 1 IIRC and Tony Blackburn refused to play it on his breakfast show 'cos he thought it was noisy crap. I'm not sure if the word wanker escaped my lips but i'm sure i thought it!

Yeah, i know that's a dozen but i couldn't help myself, er, Louis Prima - King Of The Swingers from the Jungle Book soundtrack should really be on there too !

As a teenage schoolboy these LP's were formative ( and in some kinda personal chronology )...

T. Rex - Electric Warrior ( was 10 still )
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard / A True Star and Todd

I got into sports a bit at this time and suddenly the choices became more macho....

SAHB - Next
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Edit - Pink Fairies - Kings Of Oblivion - Shouldn't forget this or the fact that the inner fold out card poster of the 3 hairy fairies used to stare down at me from the bedroom wall.
Hawkwind - Space Ritual ( Another LP sleeve that ended up on the bedroom wall )

Then i broke some bones and went all sensitive again....

John Martyn - Solid Air

Then year zero came around ( 1978 for me out in the 'burbs ! )......

Television - Marquee Moon ( punk rockers can't play for shit, hahaha, on a personal level this is the most important record i own, life changing stuff ) which in turn let to the purchase of this....

Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power - All it took was the intro and the opening line to Search & Destroy and i was hooked.

Sorry about the autobiography but it beats working !
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 23, 2008, 16:22
bubblehead2 wrote:

Then i broke some bones and went all sensitive again....

Ha! Brilliant!!
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index