Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young

58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Re: which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Feb 23, 2008, 15:18
at 6 I was enthralled with the Oingo Boingo (Danny Elfman's band, brilliant from 78-85...not so much after, though the last record from 94 'Boingo' is great) record 'Good For Your Soul' which I picked from the shop for it's art of a weird looking figure in a tank top eating electricity. It deffo shaped me into what I am today....a huge impact on my artistic development.
At 7 I heard the Beatles for the first time and Hey Jude and Revolution in particular captured my young juju.
Also at 7 Hendrix entered my life and I loved manic Depression and Hey Joe...also G n' R's Appetite for Destruction came out and I fucking LOVED it. I wore that tape out in a matter of months and had to buy a second one!
At 9 I was in the parking lot of the druggist with my stepdad inside when I heard Kashmir. This made me forget about G n R and I hummed it over and over for my family until my sister finally recognized it and gave me the tape. Zeppelin was almost all I listened to for about 2 years.
Also that year I heard 'Stand' by REM. Upon getting the album 'Green' I became a pretty big REM fan. Everyone at school thought I was weird when I came in, a fifth grader, wearing the 'Green' t-shirt I had found at Musicland.
Ok....I then discovered metal...particularly Anthrax. My metal phase lasted about a year and ran concurrent with the end of the Zep phase and the REM phase. I loved Anthrax's 'Among the Living' and 'State of Euphoria.'
At 12 Pearl Jam's 'Ten' came out and the metal phase was over. I played that record over and over and over. I listen now and wonder what the hell it was that attracted me to it but I remember the feeling of awe I felt listening to 'Black' and 'Porch'
At 13 John Zorn's Naked City and Mr. Bungle blew me away...after that I was all over the map, devouring music at an unprecedented rate. Goblin, Gary Numan, The Damned, Faust, Can, TMBG, Blur all followed.....by 17 I was a true music nerd.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index