Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young

58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Feb 23, 2008, 17:17
Re: which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Feb 23, 2008, 16:19
As a pre-pubescent these singles ( amongst many others ) really grabbed me...

Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
Lovin' Spoonful - Daydream
The Who - I Can See For Miles
Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane
Move - Fire Brigade
Lorraine Ellison - Stay With Me Baby
The Four Tops - Reach Out I'll Be There
Diana Ross & The Supremes - Reflections
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Tears Of A Clown
T.Rex - Ride A White Swan

Although i should add that with the exception of the last one i didn't have these in my collection until much later in life ( thanks to wunnerful radio 1 for playing 'em )

But the one that totally warped my 9 year old head in 1970 was Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile - I heard this for the first time when it was released as a single after Jimi's death, it got to number 1 IIRC and Tony Blackburn refused to play it on his breakfast show 'cos he thought it was noisy crap. I'm not sure if the word wanker escaped my lips but i'm sure i thought it!

Yeah, i know that's a dozen but i couldn't help myself, er, Louis Prima - King Of The Swingers from the Jungle Book soundtrack should really be on there too !

As a teenage schoolboy these LP's were formative ( and in some kinda personal chronology )...

T. Rex - Electric Warrior ( was 10 still )
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard / A True Star and Todd

I got into sports a bit at this time and suddenly the choices became more macho....

SAHB - Next
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Edit - Pink Fairies - Kings Of Oblivion - Shouldn't forget this or the fact that the inner fold out card poster of the 3 hairy fairies used to stare down at me from the bedroom wall.
Hawkwind - Space Ritual ( Another LP sleeve that ended up on the bedroom wall )

Then i broke some bones and went all sensitive again....

John Martyn - Solid Air

Then year zero came around ( 1978 for me out in the 'burbs ! )......

Television - Marquee Moon ( punk rockers can't play for shit, hahaha, on a personal level this is the most important record i own, life changing stuff ) which in turn let to the purchase of this....

Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power - All it took was the intro and the opening line to Search & Destroy and i was hooked.

Sorry about the autobiography but it beats working !
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index