Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young

58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Feb 26, 2008, 10:40
I loved pop music almost from the day I was born. I'll start with the singles...

45's

SHE LOVES YOU - The Beatles
I was a little kid. The Beatles were everywhere. A HARD DAYS NIGHT and ALL MY LOVING were other early faves. The later LADY MADONNA and HEY JUDE were big faves, too. I can go ages without playing The Beatles (though LADY MADONNA and THINGS WE SAID TODAY have had a number of plays in recent times!). I don't need to. They're *there*.

IF I WERE A RICH MAN - Topol
Possibly the first single I bought. Deedle-daidle-dum.

TELSTAR - The Tornados
My parents didn't have many decent records (apart from mentioned here and The Kinks DEDICATED FOLLOWER OF FASHION), but this was definitely one of them. Sounded like nothing I'd ever heard before!

GOOD VIBRATIONS - The Beach Boys
I didn't buy this, but can still remember hearing it and thinking it sounded like the most modern peice of music ever. Along with the Dr Who theme!

THE MIGHTY QUINNE - Manfred Mann
I was mad on this record. I would look forward to watching TOTP each week just to see these heroes on it. I was also extremely fond of HA HA SAID THE CLOWN, too.

FIRE BRIGADE - The Move
I'd loved their earlier I CAN HEAR THE GRASS GROW and FLOWERS IN THE RAIN, but it was at this point that Roy Wood, etc became heroes of mine! BLACKBERRY WAY confirmed just how great they were.

FIRE - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
An early WTF moment!

JUMPING JACK FLASH - Rolling Stones
The Stones were little more than a name to me till this one. Just seemed so exciting.

BABY JUMP - Mungo Jerry
I'd bought In The Summertime, but this was even better. The leery lyrics sounded very exciting to a 10 yr old!

HOT LOVE - T.Rex
I'd like Ride A White Swan, which was unusual because my sister had bought it and she usually bought toss. But this was something else. She bought this, too, which caused a right row as I wanted it and my mum put her foot down and said one copy in the house was enough!

LP's
ELECTRIC WARRIOR - T.Rex
By the time I got this, early '72, Bolan had probably taken over from Ray Dorset as my ero. After this I got THE SLIDER, BOLAN BOOGIE, TANX, etc. Indeed, it would be a while before I bought an album by anyone else.

PILEDRIVER - Status Quo
By late '73, Bolan had seemingly disappeared. I needed someone else. Bizarrely it wasn't Bowie (I bought 45's but there were rivalry issues!), or Roxy, but these denim clad rockers as I loved PAPER PLAIN and CAROLINE. Although HELLO was probably out by this time, I went for this one. Maybe I'd heard this was the best, or maybe the cover seemed more exciting! Anyway, for a couple of years I loved them (the QUO LP was the other I really rated), though I wasn't so blown away by ON THE LEVEL and after BLUE FOR YOU me and Quo sort of parted ways.

SHEET MUSIC - 10cc
I hadn't particularly liked their early 45's, but WALL STREET SHUFFLE was fab. SILLY LOVE confirmed matters and so I bought this. I amazed myself at one point in the 80's by being able to sing along with virtually every word of the album, despite not having heard it for about 10 yrs! I also loved THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK, though that hasn't worn as well as this IMO. But by the time HOW DARE YOU came out, they seemed to be just too clever-clever.

PROPAGANDA - Sparks
I didn't like THIS TOWN... when I first heard it, but liked AMATEUR HOUR and then loved NEVER TURN YOUR BACK.... Then got into THIS TOWN, too, and went to see them. Got this before KIMONO MY HOUSE through c/o xmas prezzie off big sis and loved it.

CRIME OF THE CENTURY - Supertramp
Wasn't sure what to make of DREAMER when I first heard it, but saw them play the title track on tv (a kids show like 45 I think) and loved it. Took this into school when the teacher said we could take a record in. First track BLOODY WELL RIGHT... "You've got a bloody cheek", said the music teacher afterwards!

SAVAGE EYE - Pretty Things
Saw this lot supporting Quo in '75 and loved them. Didn't know anything about them till then, so started with their current album. Didn't like it very much of it last time I heard it (apart from the beautiful slowie SAD EYE).

MISUNDERSTOOD - Strider
Saw these supporting The Faces (who for all their great live reputation were actually seriously underwhelming the night I saw them, with Tetsu on bass). I loved Strider though, and got this. I played it recently and it starts like it's gonna be a decent rawk album, but after the opening few mins it's pretty rubbish really. (If you're sensing a theme of me buying albums by support acts, I should perhaps also add that I got the dreaded FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE a couple of years after I'd seen him support Uriah Heep though it wasn't long before I went off that!)

THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY - Rolling Stones
I read a couple of Stones books on my hols and one had a discography in the back. This seemed like the ideal place to start with a Stones album, mainly cos it had Jumpin' Jack Flash on it. Bought it shortly afterwards along with a 2nd hand copy of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath IIRC - from the original, ultra-hip back room Migrant Mouse shop! A great compilation.

THE WELSH CONNECTION - Man
A lad from South Wales had stayed at our house when competing in a local athletics event, and he was raving about Man. Who? RHINO'S WINO'S & LUNATICS was their latest album and when he mentioned that I'd heard of that. The title was obviously more memorable than the band name to a 13yr old! Anyway, I picked up a cheap copy of the TAKING THE EASY WAY OUT AGAIN 45 (different to the LP version btw!) and loved it. A couple of yrs later my sister (another them here!) had obviously been listening and came back from her hols - the latest Man LP! I still like this one...

INTERVIEW - Gentle Giant
I'd heard GG on the radio (on Anne Nightingale I think, though it may have been Fluff) and liked it. Read the Phil Sutcliffe review and decided to start here. A truly bonkers record, and one I'm still very fond of.

And then punk happened...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index