Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young

58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Feb 23, 2008, 19:07
Re: which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Feb 23, 2008, 18:51
Monkees "Last Train To Clarksville" -- and pretty much every other song featured in the TV show, which I always watched when it was in reruns after the Saturday morning cartoonies in the 1970's. Rock starts here for me.

The Police "Everything She Does Is Magic" -- I thought Sting was the coolest guy alive in 1980! Synthesizers are awesome!

Hall & Oates "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" -- probably my other favorite group as a 10-year-old Top 40 addict. This is still a superb song even today, particularly the longer (non-radio) mix! Funky, insanely catchy, and sonicly pretty weird too. Terrence Trent D'Arby only dreamed of making a record like this.

Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" LP -- once I matured from radio to records, this was one of my first purchases (the very, very first LP I bought was "Ziggy Stardust" actually -- I like it better now than I did back then!) Still probably my favorite Beatle record.

Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced?" -- gaaaaaaah! Not just incredible playing from Jimi & Mitch (Noel's fine too), but great SONGS. Garage rock from a very advanced civilization of the future.

The Who "Who's Next" -- issued to all adolescent boys at age 15.

Capt. Beefheart "Safe As Milk" -- a very lucky chance find when I was young, bought it cuz I thought the fisheye-lens photos on the cover looked cool. Maybe early exposure to this record is why I have no time for the Rolling Stones!!!! (What have they ever done that rocks like "Zig Zag Wanderer"?)

Pink Floyd "The Wall" -- there were a few months there where I listened to this entire dismal bummer incessantly, and really got into the whole concept story & feeeeeling of it. Sheesh, teenagers!!! I have absolutely no time for this record at all since, like, my 18th birthday.

Sex Pistols "Never Mind The Bollocks" -- was named the second greatest rock LP (after Sgt. Pepper of course) in one of those lists they do every few years in Rolling Stone magazine. I was one of 2 kids in my high school who had ever heard this record (the other one also being a city kid transplanted to a small town.) Even in 1987, being a fan of this band was still a "mark of the weirdo" in many places.

Klaatu "Sir Army Suit" -- in the days before the internet, this group was WAY mysterious. I never believed they were really the Beatles, but loved their Beatle/Floyd/MoodyBlues sound, and pondered who the heck was really behind it all by searching for clues on the album covers, in the lyrics, etc.

Mothers of Invention "Absolutely Free" & "We're Only In It For The Money" -- very first thing I did upon enrolling in college was head to the library and see if they had any Zappa records (since these were all out of print & very expensive back in the 80's). Made a cassette dub of their cassette dub of these 2 records and wore that thing out! Had first heard of this crazy Zappa guy on the Dr. Demento show!

Sonic Youth "Daydream Nation" & Husker Du "Warehouse" -- two albums that pulled me out of my classic rock high school daze and convinced me that there was actually still an interesting music scene out there -- just that you didn't hear about it on the radio!! I think the ONLY contemporary band I listened to much in my pre-college teen years was REM (even hated the U2 "Joshua Tree"!) And even then, I knew I liked REM mainly because they reminded me of the Byrds . . .
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index