Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young

58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Re: which ten albums or ten songs , really grabbed you by the bollocks, when u was young
Feb 26, 2008, 00:44
When i was very young i liked late 80's pop like salt & pepa, belinda carlisle, T'pau and Transvision Vamp. Hell, i think i liked Chris Rea and Phil Collins then too. By the time i was a teenager it was a case of raiding my dad's record collection and my older brothers

The first thing i got off my brother was the Standing on a beach (or was it staring at the sea?) compilation of singles by The Cure which became my adopted favourite band throughout school. That was soon followed by Faith/Carnage Visors and Disintegration. CD's were becoming more popular than tapes by then and i think Disintegration was one of the first CD's i bought.

Another early CD was Floored Genius off the back of i think Select saying he was the real deal, and quite the character. And so began the fascination. Safesurfer was definitely my fav song at the time which i played to death. I don't think i realised for a long time that he was in a band called the Teardrop Explodes earlier on in his career (i think that was phase 1 on the CD, which consisted the first 6 songs or so, but i didn't take that on board for some reason, so didn't explore them then). My first proper Cope album was either St Julian which i was a bit disapointed with except for A crack in the clouds which was epic, or Peggy Suicide - but i think that was in my college years. My friend Ben who i got into Cope had Floored Genius 2 and Fried about then too.

My dad used to play Pink Floyd a bit - i think Dark Side of the Moon mainly. But he also had A Nice Pair - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn/A Saucerful of Secrets and Ummagumma. I think I started off buying Piper and Ummagumma on tape for him but ended up liking them so much that I kept them for myself. Piper was a definite fav with my drug taking friends and me. My dad had suggested i look into Syd Barrett so i did about the time i left school as well. Only Madcap Laughts by then.

I think i got into The Stone Roses eponymous album just as i was leaving school, which was a few years after it came out and i don't know if it had quite become the student staple by then. That was from by brother as was The Happy Monday's Pills Thrills and Bellyaches. And while we are about it Primal Scream's Screamadelica and later on Goldie's Timeless were getting a lot of play too. Blur's Parklife was getting played to death everywhere too, but i wasn't quite so keen on that, and much preferred Modern Life is Rubbish. A lot of these bands aren't the thing to like on this board, and are considered as faux pas. but that was what i was listening to and still do from time to time.

Honourable mentions must go to Jesus and the Mary Chain, The Smiths and Lou Reed. The first Jesus and the Mary Chain album i listened to was Honey's Dead - probably not considered the classic, but i rather liked it. I had The Smith's Greatest Hits volumes 1 and 2 before i explored any of their albums, and transformer got a lot of play too. Looking back at it, there wasn't really that much music i liked that was from my era - buying an album when it actually came out. I suppose everyone was blown away by Nirvana Nevermind at the time which i think i was too.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index