Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03

93 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03
May 20, 2003, 22:14
I'm usually piss-poor at posting anything on the STOL threads, so thought I'd actually make an effort this week.

White Noise - An Electric Storm
Been meaning to get hold of this for ages, and now wish I'd heard it earlier. Barking mad pioneering electronic psych, with Delia Derbyshire and the sound of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop all over it. Very nuts, but catchy at the same time.

The Streets - Original Pirate Material
Regularly in the CD player this one. Still does the business.

Igor Wakhevitch - Donc
A not too cheap 6 CD box of 70's albums by French guy. Melding scary orchestral landscapes with krauty rock, musique concrete and electronic sounds. Really tripped out, and I've road-tested it for the purpose. I understand now why this guy is on the Nurse With Wound list of influences.

Spacemen 3 - Forged Prescriptions
2-CD set of the Perfect Prescription album with outakes and demo versions etc. Time slows down when it's playing. Comes with concilliatory sleevenotes by Sonic Boom.

Renaldo & The Loaf - Songs for Swinging Larvae
England's answer to The Residents. Totally bonkers album which is impossible to describe. The instrumentation will give a clue or two though: Guitar, Mandolin, Bouzouki, Flocdrum, Glockenspiel, Bamboo, Diverse Percussives, Ted's Metal Comb, Clarinet, Loops, Scalpel, Prepared Guitar, Hacksaw Blade.

This Heat - This Heat
Mentioned this on the Radiohead thread. Great pioneering album of mixed up studio wizardry, atmospheric songs and liberal experimentation. A mixture of live and manipulated studio stuff. Great, great ,great. Lots of new-found respect for what they did. Kind of a British Faust in some ways.

Bjork - Homogenic
Hadn't listened to this in a while. Better than I remembered. Played incessantly at work.

DJ Shadow - The Private Press
New things are revealed on this with every listen. Still love it.

Apart from that I've been listening to the NM3 contributions a lot, learning them all before the construction job. Severin's tape of recentish stuff has been disorientating me on the walkman. And I've listened to bits of my own stuff.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index