Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03

93 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03
May 18, 2003, 19:20
Been on a major Zeppelin trip this week, buoyed by all the talk of the upcoming DVD and live box set. I've played all the official output bar 'Houses' and 'Out Door' (both of which are planned for a spin today) and had a rare old time, especially with the first and third albums which to me are Towser's testicles. That recent thread about what gives you a rush in music? Well how about that hissy cymbal count in before the perfect octave riff of 'Immigrant Song', the signal that you're in for 43 minutes of damn fine folk and roll! But this is called 'Unsung' and Led Zep are hardly that, so...

I also played:

Joni Mitchell 'Clouds' - aw man, chill-out music at its best. At peace with the world am I after this;

Bill Withers 'Greatest Hits' - ditto. Lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, love-ly day...;

The Grateful Dead 'Workingman's Dead' and 'American Beauty' - a welcome break from the psychout Dead I've indulged in recently. A real CSNY kick, with ace songwriting in evidence, these are the most timeless, least dated albums in the band's vast catalogue that I'm aware of;

Traffic 'Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory' - the band at their indulgent best. I could listen to 'Roll Right Stones' all day. Like the Dead's 'Dark Star', it just has that sort of indefinable groove;

The Smiths 'The World Won't Listen' - picked out at random from my collection of Smiths' epics, this comp is a particularly satisfying collection of A and B sides with 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' as a sublime bonus, their finest ever track;

Tramline 'Somewhere Down The Line' - dated but decent Teeside R&B featuring a very young Micky Moody on guitar;

John Martyn 'One World' and 'Solid Air' - back in chill mode, it don't get much better than these totally original sounding gems. Get well soon, man;

Caravan 'The Album' - great pop album totally devoid of prog tendencies, and I love 'em for it;

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 'Four Way Street' - total classic live album with Mr Young in particular on blistering form.

Good week, all

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index