Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03
May 18, 2003, 12:41
Hiya hope you are all ok – my first shot at starting Soundtrax for a couple of weeks well here goes

Ozric Tentacles Bits Between the Bits – CD reissue of one of the early Ozrics tapes stunning stuff.

Joolio soundtrax staples in recent weeks Jethro Tull still present - Aqualung and Living in The Past and a new purchase A Passion Play – I bought this during the week on me travels having never heard it before- I had heard descriptions like impenetrable lyrics, obscure themes etc – Indeed WTF is Anderson on about – on first listening I have no idea – any clues anyone? And does it get any easier on second listening? Does it warrant second listening?

Black Sabbath –Vol.4 -- top stuff

Been in a bit of a Led Zeppelin moment this week mainly due to the excellent Q Magazine special so this weeks most played album – Physical Graffiti – also by Zeppelin this week Remasters. Can’t wait for the new CD and DVD releases.

The Yardbirds – Cumular Limit – live album from 1967/68 with Pagey in full flyte 8-)

Pink Floyd – Dark Side of The Moon – sadly no SACD release for me only plain old stereo – one day, one day still stunning nonetheless – me favourite LP of all time – oh yes.

Porcupine Tree – Live at the Bloomsbury Theatre 1999

Next up some albums that rarely see the light of day which have been given a run out this week: -

The Moody Blues – This Is The Moody Blues – best of been gathering dust on the shelf for a while but some cracking stuff here.

Another rarely played album but one that made an impact this week – Mellow Candle – Swaddling Songs – Irish folk rock from 1972 – this is a real revelation this one.

Also on a folk rocked theme but from 1995 Mary Jane – Hazy Days – vocally kinda reminds me of Canned Heat in places at least on Mary Jane Blues – a song that invokes real low and lazy summer days – I like it 8-)

What else one from Moey this week – Solid Air from John Martyn – I had only ever heard the title track until now – this whole LP is fantastic and has been the second most played disc of the week.

Rite I think that’s me over to you lot.

Joolio

To Be A Rock But Not To Roll

Now playing Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti – The Rover
Murray
191 posts

Re: Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03
May 18, 2003, 13:20
To help ease the pain of a shitty new job, i have used these delictable pieces of plastic.............

Tons of Psychic TV live shows - all the way from 1982 to 1999 - under-rated band - tho obviously not TG.

P.I.L. - Compact Disc - great hard rock album from Lydon and co - Home & Bags are amazing.

The Residents - Mark Of The Mole a la last week i have come across a Residents album that i used to love and now rather dislike - shame really - tho 'Marching To The Sea' is a jauntly little piece.

Zappa/Mothers - We're Only In It For The Money - absolue classic - great tunes, great politics and a fun ride throughout its 40 mins.

Coil - Live three/live four - 2 top live cd's - well worth hearing as the quality is a hell of alot better than some of the live boots i have.

Marc Almond - Jacques - Marc's album of Brel covers - hmmm... some decent tracks (I'm Coming, The Bulls etc) and some dodgy versions (If You Go Away, My Death etc) - not too bad all round.

Throbbing Gristle - Live Goldsmiths College, London 13/3/1980 - ah, another cracking live performance.

Throbbing Gristle - Grief (again) mixture of atmospherics and interviews.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 18, 2003, 13:36
And the rain still pours outside the catpod. Oh well; the tunes...Got loads of cheapies from Vinyl Exchange this week.

Beta Band - Hot Shots II. Whilst not having the weird loveliness of the 3 EP's they are still a joy to listen to and have around. I like.

Teenage Fanclub - Howdy. Effortless jangling and harmonising beauty from masters of the form.

The Throbs - The Language Of Thieves & Vagabonds. One & only album from 80's sleazy glam punx. Bit of psychedelic influence in there too. Best listened to swigging Jack and pouring self into unfeasibly tight keks.

Trouble - Green Plastic Head. Bit stonerish, bit Sabby, but Judas Priesty amalgum of metal styles. Derivative but fun.

Gomez - In Our Gun. Overlooked 3rd album (proper). Got some great tunes on it and they add a few electronic squarks to the proceedings.

Outrageous Cherry - Out There In The Dark. Psychedelia & acid garage pop from Detroit obscuros. 3 min pop gems and 11 min wig outs Great for doing psychicshimmy to. So retro sounding they make The Warlocks sound like Aphex Twin.

Outrageous Cherry - The Book Of Spectral Projections. See above, though at 78 mins this is a bit overlong. Authentically muddy late 60's production Jack White would cream his red & White pants for.

Ash Ra Temple - 7 Up. Strangely blues inflected Krautisms with guest mumbles from T. Leary

Ashra- Sunrain: The Virgin Years. Pleasant though inconsequential white wine & reading the Sunday supplements music whilst a hang gliding documentary on BB2 plays in the background.

3 Colours Red - Revolt. Not as good as the 1st album but enjoyable melodic punk n roll all the same.

The Mission -Aura. Yes, you read that right. For those remotely interested this is possibly the best Mission album since Children. Takes you back it does. (Thows petals in air and does pointy shoe dance)

Amused By Genitals - Smellington: Out of our minds on Poo & Wee.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Bought on strength of Cope review as it was an Album of the Month that I knew was available lcally for £4.99. Not disappointed. Really good stuff!

Damon Albarn, Afel Bocolm, Toumani Diabate & Friends - Mali Music. I know the Blurster got accused of a kind of culteral dilletantism with this project, but the music is ace; affecting, joyous and just plain lovely in equal turns.

World Series III - Brazilian Tech house. Still vibrating the cat pod with lush beats & latin tinged grooves.

Yes - Close To The Edge. Think this & Fragile are my fave albums by progular giants of proggy prog. It's very prog you know.

Thats me. Have a nice week. Oh look! The Sun's come out! Huzzah!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: doh!
May 18, 2003, 13:43
VDGGenerator album was Pawn Hearts of course. Tsk.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

May 18, 2003, 15:49
erm let me think

blur's think tank is pretty good stuff. love the single, plenty of other stuff here too.

pearls before swine
the first six albums. bought in a splurge of financial promiscuity. these are the best thing to have happened to me in donkeys years. thimk i'll post an overview on unsung. best of the bunch is the use of ashes which contains the jeweller (done by this mortal coil) and rocket man, probably the most beautiful, heart-rending song ever written (now there's a thread). does anyone else here dig tom rapp and do they want to set up a self-help group with me. he's the boss x

v/vm - fandabedozee. wicked hilarious compilation guaranteed to turn any party into a pool of melted lard. including the krankies-sung title track.

country joe and da fish - electric music for the mind and body. tuff psyche. nuff said.

operators are standing by - gary lucas.
american beefheart sidesmen plays eastenders theme shock, ace . top versh of astronmy domine too. recommended.

radiohead - there there. nme slagged it, i love it. b-sides wonderful too in an experimental moaning minny stylee. looking forward to the album if the early download is anything to go by.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

May 18, 2003, 18:16
The Pet Shop Boys - Very. Their last great album, Pleasant sound, pleasant memories.

Erasure - Pop (Greatest Hits). The more Lumpen PSB. Had their moments with Chorus, Love to Hate You etc.

Abfhart Hindmill - Linksberge. Class electronica on the ToyTontric label. A mate burnt this for me.

Gang of Four - Entertainment.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

May 18, 2003, 18:23
"lo peeps.

I'm a patchy musophile, but songs on morfeplatter last 7 days feature these heavily:

Michel Legrand: The Thomas Crown Affair

Wild Dub: Killing Joke

Hard Times: Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

On the Rhodes Again: Morcheeba

Ventura Highway and Horse Avec Non Moniker: America

Tranverberations: Squire of Somerton

Broken Up A Ding Dong: The Beta Band

Things Have Changed: Bob Dylan

Albatross (acoustic): Fleetwood Mac

Golden Earring: Radar Love

Make Me Smile: Steve Harley & Cockernee Rebel

Vito Satan: Campag Velocet (Moon Cat told me to ;-) )

And, and don't ASK me why, but the second half of By-Tor And The Snow Dog by R*sh. I ponced about to it playing superfast air-bass at 15 yrs old. Am pleased/horrified to note thatit STILL makes me behave like that.

Hoorah for music!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

and
May 18, 2003, 18:27
Martin Denny!!! (morfe carpetshuffles enough to make static leap up his polyester troozaz)

What a horrid thought. cha cha ZZZZZRRRZZp!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

May 18, 2003, 19:20
Been on a major Zeppelin trip this week, buoyed by all the talk of the upcoming DVD and live box set. I've played all the official output bar 'Houses' and 'Out Door' (both of which are planned for a spin today) and had a rare old time, especially with the first and third albums which to me are Towser's testicles. That recent thread about what gives you a rush in music? Well how about that hissy cymbal count in before the perfect octave riff of 'Immigrant Song', the signal that you're in for 43 minutes of damn fine folk and roll! But this is called 'Unsung' and Led Zep are hardly that, so...

I also played:

Joni Mitchell 'Clouds' - aw man, chill-out music at its best. At peace with the world am I after this;

Bill Withers 'Greatest Hits' - ditto. Lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, love-ly day...;

The Grateful Dead 'Workingman's Dead' and 'American Beauty' - a welcome break from the psychout Dead I've indulged in recently. A real CSNY kick, with ace songwriting in evidence, these are the most timeless, least dated albums in the band's vast catalogue that I'm aware of;

Traffic 'Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory' - the band at their indulgent best. I could listen to 'Roll Right Stones' all day. Like the Dead's 'Dark Star', it just has that sort of indefinable groove;

The Smiths 'The World Won't Listen' - picked out at random from my collection of Smiths' epics, this comp is a particularly satisfying collection of A and B sides with 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' as a sublime bonus, their finest ever track;

Tramline 'Somewhere Down The Line' - dated but decent Teeside R&B featuring a very young Micky Moody on guitar;

John Martyn 'One World' and 'Solid Air' - back in chill mode, it don't get much better than these totally original sounding gems. Get well soon, man;

Caravan 'The Album' - great pop album totally devoid of prog tendencies, and I love 'em for it;

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 'Four Way Street' - total classic live album with Mr Young in particular on blistering form.

Good week, all

Dave
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

May 18, 2003, 19:36
Oi stop copying!!

;-)

Joolio
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index