132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Labour to win? Surely not...
Jun 21, 2017, 22:59
thesweetcheat wrote:
And many of the Tories' least popular manifesto pledges dropped, including school breakfasts, death/dementia tax and (hurrah) fox hunting vote.

Even though Labour did not get into government (yet), this is undoubtedly a positive outcome.

Next up, the latest polling suggests a majority are in favour of a referendum on the terms of any negotiated Brexit deal, and are not in favour of leaving the single market. The implications are starting to become apparent to leavers, as are the negotiating abilities of Davies and Co. Even the DUP seem to be unimpressed. Perhaps the government's eagerness to interpret the "will of the people" as an exact match for the "will of the right of the Tory party" was misplaced.

Even the DUP seem to be unimpressed

If I was the UK; the current tory front-bench is one of the last places I'd look for people to oversee Brexit negotiations. Johnson, Fox, Davis and May have lost whatever credibility they might once have had. They are completely out of their depth in terms of the skillset required, and the election result has dramatically undermined their entire position.

Right now, I can't see any strategy for the UK -- aside from a complete U-Turn -- that will not end in serious economic problems (both for the UK and for my own country; Ireland). There is also the very real chance that a hard-border in Ireland would see a resurgence of violence.

If that happens...

... well, let's just hope it doesn't.

Having said all that; it's no shame to have the DUP unimpressed by your negotiating skills. I dislike the DUP more than you can possibly imagine, but only a fool would downplay or underestimate their negotiating ability. For the past 20 years, Northern Irish politics has basically been one continuous negotiating session between two hard-as-nails, resolutely uncompromising sides possessed of a deep mutual animosity. All happening under the looming shadow of a gunman, just looking for a reason to return.

The DUP would face down almost any European Political Party across the negotiating table. And they'll certainly eat the tories alive if May decides to go through with the deal.

They'd almost be a good choice for the UK's Brexit negotiators. Y'know, if they weren't such fucking lunatics...
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index