Labour to win? Surely not...

132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Re: Heseltine cuts across the delusion?
Jun 14, 2017, 17:35
Not really convinced. I agree that there is such thing as an EU flavoured austerity, but I don't agree that it is the reason for austerity politics under Tory governments in the UK.

UK austerity is most definitely an ideologically driven project from the guys who brought us such classics as "There's no such thing as Society". The more recent crop have turned it into a get rich quick scheme for those with interests in Capital, SerCo, Group4 etc to syphon money raised in taxation into the hands of shareholders while claiming that service standards have to fall as the services are now unaffordable. I don't see the EU's paws on this at all, I see neo-liberal ideologues of the home grown variety (including people like the anti-EU Farage).

Of course the capitalist dream of free market economics is utterly rotten, as these privateer firms are completely reliant on money coming from the state to support their profitability. Make them truly reliant on the free market and it would be a very different story.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index