132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Jun 09, 2017, 09:18
Re: Labour to win? Surely not...
Jun 09, 2017, 09:17
It's hard not to be amused by the outcome. Just on the level of a cosmic joke. It's literally what would happen if you wrote a really unsubtle parody of the current tory party.

Abandoning a small but workable majority, they called an election that was not legally required -- and which their leader repeatedly insisted would not be called -- with the aim of increasing their majority in the name of stability.

Now they are left... less than two weeks before the start of arguably the most important political negotiations in a generation for Britain (a timetable, once again, set completely voluntarily by the tories themselves)... without a parliamentary majority.

They are now likely to form the least stable government in the past 30 years (even the conservative/libdem alliance felt internally solid even if it was ideologically dubious). They will be relying on the most right wing mainstream party in the UK to maintain power. Oh lovely!

I mean, forget UKIP... the DUP are proper eye-swiveling, Climate Change denying, sectarian, homophobic "gay conversion therapy", parochial religious nutballs.

I'm currently having a disagreement with an old friend (also used to be a regular here by the way... see if you can guess who! ;-) ) about whether a massive tory majority would have been worse than this.

Obviously neither are scenarios to relish... but on balance I think weak tories propped up by DUP is worse than strong tories.

Which then, in turn, starts to rob this result of the amusement I mentioned before...
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index