Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: and as for the stones and mounds...
Apr 21, 2004, 13:40
"It doesn't happen quickly,"

"At a push we can change in our own lifetimes"

"The next generation however, whilst having more or less the same genetics as their parents, will consider ithe new conditions normal"

A bit of self-contradiction there, but I hear what you're saying.

I'm never sure about "The map is not the territory" being used in this context. If you redraw a map the land doesn't change. Can the same be said about the mind?

Man doesn't need to evolve physically anymore because we can adapt mentally just as you have said. Is this a stage of transcendence? Have we now reached a stage where the physical attribute of our body are not as important as they are for animals. I would say so and perhaps it is this that separates us (likewise not shouting anything about being top monkey etc...)

Small questions with big answers. If we are fundamentally viscious and prone to conflict at an animal level, but are able to decide whether we fight or not and yet decide to fight knowing we are going to get a bloody nose, why do we do it? Is the animal really stronger than the new-improved-mental? Or is it now a mental state (greed or whatever) that drives us to fight rather than a more animal survival instinct? Or is this mental state of greed just 'survival instinct gone mad'?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index