Fields Recordings From The Sea

167 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

no sound ever comes from the gates of eden
Apr 21, 2004, 01:41
Interesting that you'd mention Eden, since that's exactly the word that came to my mind at AQ's description of such bountiful conditions. I'm tempted to say that there has never been a perfect world, but perhaps there have been relatively brief and beautiful periods of abundance, in specific locations, that would live up to the name of Eden.

Regarding the Eden of the mind, the state of consciousness you describe as "oneness with nature". Would you agree that there's a difference between the consciousness of humans and that of animals? That's what I'm talking about, whichever terms you prefer to define it with. You're quite right, it wasn't a change of attitude. It was much more than that - the birth of a new kind of consciousness. Overlaid over the old one, obviously, but a new "layer" nevertheless.

"My sense of harmony on the hills relates to a modified landscape. I think I'd be a lot less neurosis free if it was original dense and forbidding forest. That also must come from somewhere, mustn't it?"

Again, by the same token, I know at least one person who hates going up into the hills precisely because of the lack of trees. She far prefers the leafy valleys. The perception of a forest as "dense and forbidding" is at least partly subjective, and not everyone would feel the same way. Although there's nobody whose never felt afraid in the darkness, I sometimes happily spend hours out of doors at night, when some people I know would be too freaked to leave the house!

I think its better to look to the psyche of animals to "test it", not necessarily our own feelings. Surely you'd agree that animals have a "oneness" with nature that humans have lost? I'm not suggesting that this fills their lives with perfection and joy, for nature is red in tooth and claw. But the difference in our respective states of consciousness is surely there.

Just bouncing ideas around, y'know... I reserve, as always, the right to allow my opinions to change and grow! ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index