Fields Recordings From The Sea

167 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Opaque
Apr 20, 2004, 21:02
The Mod Ant is nearly 10 years old. As a piece based upon one man's experience and the knowledge of the time it's a great work, but a lot has happened in the meantime. The latest dates from Carrowmore for instance were release in 1997. Julian has now been to many, many other places and has realised that things he thought were right were actually either wrong or a little off the mark and need refining. I keep re-writing swathes of stuff after just seeing another couple of portal tombs. There always comes a point when you have to publish, but you always have to be ready to come back and address any short comings in the future.

I am sure that certain things he said in the Mod Ant will be superceded in Driver and that's only natural. At least things will be corrected and not left on the shelf. I keep seeing people recommend books from 20 years ago as being vital sources or the 'must-read' book on a section of the subject. Absolute bollocks! If a 20 year old book is still the definitive on anything in this sphere then someone needs to write a new one pretty damn sharpish.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index