Fields Recordings From The Sea

167 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: time, tide & the domestic idyll
Apr 20, 2004, 15:16
"A weeks worth of roots, berries and firewood can be gathered in an hour or two if you know where to look."

I gotta disagree on this one. Speaking as someone who does gather firewood from the local woods, I can assure you that no matter how thick on the ground the wood is, there's no way you could gather a week's worth in an hour or two, never mind with roots and berries into the bargain. It takes a lot of wood to keep a fire burning even for one night - wood burns much quicker than coal, at any rate

I know they didn't have coal :) - or did they?

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/21664

I've never foraged for food, but I know someone who's done quite a bit of it. There <i>is</i> plentiful food to be had in some areas, but again, you couldn't possibly gather a week's worth in an hour or two. It comes in such small quantities that I think it more likely that there was a fairly constant search for food going on, in much the same way as birds or rabbits are constantly on the look out for something to eat. Of course, there was much more forest back then, and this would have made finding food easier.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index