Fields Recordings From The Sea

167 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Fields Recordings From The Sea
Apr 20, 2004, 18:15
I don't agree, but then we're both adults and that's fine!

What you say is very Darwinian, the survival of the fittest. Its worth remembering that Darwin was the first to admit that there were things in nature that appeared to contradict his theory, though. Like the Flattid Bug, for example.

Barbarism is an incredibly loaded word. It comes from a Greek root meaning "foreigner", and the "bar-bar" sound is thought to have originated as a way of mocking the "unintelligible" speech of foreigners. It's xenephobic in the extreme, is the bottom line of it, and the slurs of violence, ignorance etc. that are heaped upon the "barbarian's" head are simply racist slanders. But then I don't believe in "civilization", a word which is the "us" to barbarism's "them".

I'd argue that the "eye-for-an-eye" mentality is rooted in city-living - the city of Ur, some would say, where the Sun-god Shamash is believed to have given this ultra-vengeful law to Hammurabi.

I agree with you that in many ways human beings are the same now as they were in the distant past, but I also think some things have changed. City living changed something in the human psyche, as did the coming of agriculture, and metal.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index