Fields Recordings From The Sea

167 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: no sound ever comes from the gates of eden
Apr 21, 2004, 09:46
I personally have never subscribed to the 'one golden age' tripe that so many people seem to hark back on, nor do I suspect that Tombo believes this existed either. In fact he has clearly stated this to be the case.

This is such a common problem, especially on message boards like this. One person says something and the 'opposer' says something like "it sounds like you're saying that it was all once golden, ha ha how stupid" and then, even after a denial/correction from the original person, the 'opposer' keeps banging on about it and using as a way of trying to defeat the other's argument.

It doesn't seem to be a conscious descision to take this course of action, but once one person has repeated an 'accusation' like this a few times everyone else takes it up as a mantra without really knowing why. I think it comes through not reading and digesting a post or response properly before responding. Someone makes a point, you counter incorrectly, they correct your misinterpretation, you don't hear them .... frustration follows at both ends.

Tombo clearly stated that he did not mean that there was once an Edenic state of affairs.

I usually put it down to goldfish-syndrome, Redtopheadlineitis or something, but I am starting to think that it's just a sad symptom of this media. Is that a psyche change?

I fail to see why mental evolution should follow the same paths as physical evolution. If that were the case then surely by now the fittest minds would be dominating the planet, but one look at Ballyogan tells you different. Perhaps this doesn't happen because the truly enlightened know that breeding and humans shouldn't mix.

Is the fall of man limited to Christianity? If there was a Fall then it was the day one of us picked up a rock and hit his neighbour for not returning the goat he borrowed the week before to keep the grass short.

Jeez, I write some bollocks!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index