Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 04, 2013, 19:13
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 Novembre 2013 Common Era
Nov 04, 2013, 19:07
Robot Emperor wrote:

Rory Gallagher - Calling Card, Deuce, Irish Tour 74, Top Priority. I really do not like Blues Rock, despite the amount of it that I seem to mention on these threads. For me The Groundhogs were the only band that made something consistently interesting out of this music. So Rory Gallagher is a bit of a problem for me because these are firmly blues rock and confirm all my prejudices about clichés etc and they are also excellent. Ferocious in places. There is a point where the execution is so great that the music transcends its own limitations.
These are all new to me as I would not knowingly seek out this kind of music. There is a vet at work who is a fellow music obsessive. We pass cd’s to each other to our mutual incomprehension, I can live without Accept and he appears unmoved by Motorpsycho or Smoke Fairies. But he hit the spot with these. Excellent. Any recommendations warmly received.

I have been on a Rory binge too after hearing Ian Rankin on Front Row. I saw him a few times in his pomp and the live albums I think largely trump the studio efforts. Also the studio records don't play up the beauty of his mid-show acoustic sets. Yes, it is Blues Rock at close to its most basic but the ferocity (while maintaining a soulful touch at speed) is indeed what makes it work. The band barely hang on to his coat tails and that's fine as they are there to support not compete. Wheels Within Wheels a postumhous collection of acoustic music is well worth a listen. If you can find Hammersmith '77 on line that that is a great add-on to the two essentials, Irish Tour and Live In Europe. The solo on the live version of A Million Miles Away on Irish Tour is one of my favourite rock guitar solos. He gets in the pantheon for that alone I reckon!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index