Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Nov 03, 2013, 22:52
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 Novembre 2013 Common Era
Nov 03, 2013, 22:22
GF Fitzgerald Mouseproof
interesting, first side is pretty Brit folk/psych 2nd gets into a lot of experiments with textures. Seems very psychedelic throughout and features vocal contributions by people like Judy Dyble.
Sunbeam reissued this a few years back and I only heard it recently. Dashed great anyway.

Ant-Bee pure Electric Honey
Glad I found a d/load of this cos I lost my vinyl copy far to long ago.
It was reissued at the start of the year and does sound pretty great still. It used to come on electric blue vinyl which seemed to fit the sound. Very trippy Beatlesque melodic experimental stuff, quite delicious.

Mercury Rev Copenhagen 1993
David Baker era incarnation of the band recreating songs from the first couple of lps. The first studio lp wasn't recorded in an ensemble manner but by individuals going in and overdubbing soundtracks to aquatic footage for a college project. So interesting to hear it recreated in ensemble form onstage rather well.
Unfortunately the sound on the recording may be a bit thin.

Grateful Dead Sunshine Superman discs 2 & 3
Not heard the first disc yet. But these later 2 have some great stuff on. I don't particularly like the segue into El Paso from a long trippy Dark Star cos it seems to break the mood somewhat but outside of that this is really good. This is rightly recognised as one of the greatest sets by them possibly ever. Disc 2 is solid has a superlative Playing iN the Band and Bird Song and pretty great other tracks.
Haven't checked out the dvd yet cos my dvd player is acting up so can't comment on taht.

Pharoah Sanders Anthology You've Got To Have Freedom disc1
Great compi this is the one that features edits of the songs so there are 10-15 minute versions of tracks that were recorded as 1/2 hour plus. Do wish I'd had my hands on this back when I was djing cos it would have fit a lot better.
Anyway love this psychedelic jazz stuff and think I might try grabbing the lps with the full length versions of the tracks. Yeah might make him the next jazz artist I collect the records of.
I haven't listened to him beyond the early 70s much and wasn't sure what direction he'd taken, or if he'd mellowed up much but sounds from listening to some of the stuff he has on youtube that he remained pretty fierce.

Marble Sheep Tokyo 88
Great trippy psychedelic guitar rock by ex White Heaven guitarist. Particularly love the track Horizon on here which is one of the 2 bonus tracks. Very trippy melodic greatness this sounds like its either picking up from raga or the Doors The End. I can't tell how authentic they're trying to be hence the differentiation. Very trepanningly trippy anyway. I love the bits where a caustic guitar becomes really melodic that you get here from time to time.
Would love more of this so may look into some other titles by this band.

King Crimson The Road to Red disc 17
only disc I've heard so far but sounding pretty outstanding.
Good to have a set like this out so that you can see how far improvisations went night to night. & they are very formidable.

various other bits and pieces which will inevitably come back to me later.
Plus great soundtrack to my walking around/taking buses etc from my trusty walkman. Still managing to throw up some great surprises as I do so.

Watching
Breaking Bad
did all 5 seasons over about a week and a half. Watching Walter White corrupting as he goes and getting close to losing everything along the way.
Great addictive tv, sets quite a standard I'd love to see other programs that match. NOt sure exactly what does though.

The Newsroom Season 1
THis is HBO tv but possibly way too soap opera-ey . Jeff Daniels as a nominally Republican newscaster on a cable tv news show that gets turned around as he winds up working with an ex as his new producer.
It is interesting and was somewhat topical apparently. I might watch the 2nd season at some point.

Veep Season 1
Armando Iannucci written series starring the actress who played Elaine on Senfield as the Vice President of the USA hence the title. She is under Obama who is always offscreen. Anyway vetry good stuff, not sure if it is to the same quality as material Iannucci has worked up this side of the Atlantic but very worth watching.

A Field In England
very weird trippy film from earlier this year set in English Civil War countryside. Pretty much everything in one field really.
Seems to hark back to some experimental film making of the mid 60s and gets directly trippy in places.

Reading
Manchild iN the Promised land
Autobiography of Claude Brown about his childhood/adolescence growing up on the wrong side of the law in Harlem in the 1950s and very early 60s. It was first published in 1965.
Having just finished it I want to get more stuff by him. I'm interested in finding out what else he wrote.

Colin Wilson Manhunters
A book about Serial Killers and profiling which I've had as my bog book for the last couple of weeks since picking it up cheap in a charity shop.
I think I read quite a bit of Wilson about 25 years ago but can't think what I did and didn't read.
I just had to check that I hadn't inadvertently wound up reading 2 books by him at the same time as I just started reading a new book for bus trips etc & found out taht he'd written a book by the same title

The Philosopher's Stone Peter Marshall
This isn't the Colin Wilson book but Peter Marshall's investigation into the great alchemical grail item. He starts by talking about a chinese equivalent which was supposed to leave a human body incorruptible as its owner goes to communicate with the gods in the heavens. & there's a chinese Empress's body found from 180 years pre Christ that is apparently uncorrupted despite being buried all that time.
Seems to be an interesting book but I started reading it when I got it out of a sale a few years ago and only got about 1/4 of the way through. Probably picked something else up and lost track, hope i get through it this time.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index