53 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 Novembre 2013 Common Era
Nov 03, 2013, 20:24
Chaosmonger wrote:

also picked up the reissue of Roky Erickson's 'The Evil One' which apparently contains a hodgepodge of his first two albums. Kind of disappointed on first listen though, to be honest. Kind of sounds like CCR meets Alice Cooper with lyrics about zombies and demons. I was hoping for something more psych I guess. Might be a grower. Any thoughts?

The cd that's called The Evil One results from a session produced by Stu Cook of CCR bass fame that produced 2 lps with different titles that were released on either side of teh Atlantic. The cover that has been used on most cd releases was originally the UK one which was called 5 symbols after the 5 runes that appeared at the top of the sleeve, the US release which was called the Evil One had a B+W sleeve which looked like a 50s horror poster or something, posibly a still from a horror movie.
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/roky_erickson_and_the_aliens/the_evil_one/buy/
The 2 had different tracklistings and possibly different mixes. I'm not sure about the latter of that since I've never heard the 2 back to back, I had 5 symbols when I was a young teen and wasn't overly impressed by it, I think I found it really pedestrian. I got the US version years later and it seemed to have more edge certainly seemed to have better tracks on it THe Wind & More and Bloody Hammer were on the US one, I walked with a Zombie was on the UK one. The cd version contains all the tracks from both releases as far as I'm aware.

So I was surprised taht you compared it to CCR unless it points out the presence of Stu Cook as producer. Hadn't really thought about it that way. Think I thought 2nd hand rolling Stones when I had the 5 Symbols version and wow this is great when I had the Evil One
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index