Sensational Gigs?

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Re: Sensational Gigs?
Aug 23, 2013, 11:14
I have not been to many of late (combination of tinnitus and raising small children) but loads since early eighties. So many but I'll try to pick most memorable.

Restricted Code / Altered Images - Custom House Quay, Glasgow Summer 1980. My first ever gig - this was before Altered Images even released Dead Pop Stars never mind become a household name. Restricted Code were still to release their 2 singles for Pop Aural and record 2 Peel Sessions. If I had my way I would have Restricted Code a household name and Altered Images sink into obscurity.

Public Image Ltd - Glasgow Apollo 16 Nov 1983. My first proper gig. PIL were now Johnny Rotten and session musicians. It felt they'd been around for ages but really in the scheme of the things it was young days - 30 years on they are still playing. But what a song to welcome me into the world of gigs - "you never listened to a word that I said ... etc"

The Damned - Glasgow Penthouse 28 Dec 1983. My second gig - just before Sensible left.

Smiths - Glasgow Barrowlands 25 Sep 1985 - Meat Is Murder tour - wow! Saw them the following year same venue on Queen Is Dead tour.

Various "punk" gigs at the Grey Lodge, Dundee 1987. Especially the Apostles who did not play but showed slides to a bemused punk audience.

Gong / Daevid Allen - various Glasgow / Edinburgh gigs 1990-93.

American Music Club - Edinburgh Venue 26 Jan 1991. First of many AMC / Eitzel gigs - this was so loose, Eitzel's banter in between songs, that sound, the emotions, the laughs and that pedal steel!

Lee Scratch Perry - Glasgow Barrowlands Summer 2000. I don't do much reggae but this was awesome - terrific sound, band, chemistry. Went to see him a few times since but nothing on this.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Glasgow ABC 2005. Who would believe it? I actually saw them.

Flaming Lips - Edinburgh 2006. The bubbles, the balloons, a musical celebration.

Mike Heron and friends - Edinburgh Record Store Day 2013. "A Very Cellular Song" in a tiny pub in Stockbridge. Awesome!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index