Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2013, 09:10
Re: Sensational Gigs?
Aug 21, 2013, 09:02
Julian Cope - Manchester Academy 1992.
The Jehovahkill tour and my first Cope gig.
First Cope gig? Yup
Tripping? Yup
A wise move? Maybe not - I should have known when he took to the stage with an ominous "Prepare yourselves", yikes!
There then followed what I can only assume to be a fantastic performance, bearing in mind my altered state and the fact I had no prior reference points.
The evening included what appeared to be a total schizoid meltdown during Safesurfer (Cope, not me), a full-on cosmic-asshole mikestand version of Pulsar (presumably my hallucination, given that the mikestand in question was stood next to the merchandise stand as a raffle prize) and a belly-slashing Reynard The Fox (again, my hallucination - there was LOTS of blood)*. And that was the tip of the cosmic iceberg.
A mythological shamanic experience - oh yeah! The doors between the known and unknown (or real and unreal) truly blown open that night.
Wait till I see those goddamn bats!

*I never used to have actual 'hallucinations' whilst tripping, usually just colours and distortion so figured Cope must have been channelling something fairly deep to trigger hyperreal 'visions' - even if they were merely images directly connected with the songs and straight outta the Julian Cope mythos.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index