Unsung Forum »
Sensational Gigs?

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Sensational Gigs?
Aug 20, 2013, 18:26
Hard to narrow it down as I usually get SOMEthing good from a gig but ones I'm very fond of were...(in order of them entering my brain)

Hanoi Rocks at the Electric Ballroom, Camden in the mid 80s. Small, sweaty, glitzy, glammy and intense! Fave of the times I saw them way back when.

KISS on the 97/98 reunion tour and again on the Sonic Boom tour. Sorry, Sonic BOOM! tour.

Yes at Glastonbury 2004, Jazz/World Stage. Perfect weather, amazing atmos and a set list that would make any Yes fan weep for joy. Makes my heart glow every time I think about it.

Opeth at the Royal Albert Hall. I've seen them loadsa times and they've always been amazing but this was just such an EVENT it felt magical.

Kila at the Pontardawe Festival a few years ago. Amazing folk rock musicians just making it all look so effortless. Gobsmackingly joyous in a tent in the pissing rain with mud and beer cans about.

Underworld at the Manchester Apollo on the 100 Days off tour. Hello crowd, goodbye roof!

Eat Static at the Manchester Academy Megadog 199something Er...having it large?

Curve at The Academy 2.

Julian Cope on the 20 Mothers Tour and also the three nighter at the Hammersmith Lyric ( a three day HH fest really!) and with the Brain Donor power trio line up at Academy 2

Jane's Addiction on the Ritual De Lo Habitual Tour, Manchester Academy.

Rioghnach Connolly & the Black Lung ensemble at Manchester Jazz 2012. 16 (and varying!) musicians perform a jazz folk hybrid of exquisite joy AND melancholy and all points in between.

Michael Cretu Sextet (or sometimes trio!) playing with Myke Wilson - one of the most amazing drummers I've seen, Matt & Phreds, Manc Jazz 2012.

Solus 3 with Damo Suzuki at the Purcell Room, Southbank Centre. Yes, yes, I know they're mates and I'm usually their photo gibbon and all that, but it was properly great.

Comus at the Borderline. Both times were great but the first was extra special cos the intensity coming from the stage was surely possessed of infernal power. Truly stunning!! Plus they had Diagonal supporting first time and Purson and Fusion Orchestra 2 second time, which was great.

Slim Cessna's Auto Club in Camden. I don't own any albums but this was a special night cos of the company combined with the Auto Clubs full on Cowpunk testify power.

Roberto y Gabriella at the Manchester Academy. I thought it'd be a good night out but it was mind-blowingly fantastic. Again, the word joy comes to mind.

Astra at the Deaf Institute. Again, thought it'd be good...but it was total prog nirvana and in such a great venue too. Plus Purson supporting!

Plus, must mention the lovely Smoke Fairies all the times seen but especially at the Deaf Institute cos they were on fire (arf), again, great venue and they got Slacked and I got the banana.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index