Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Sensational Gigs?
Aug 23, 2013, 03:31
keith a wrote:
Charlie2300 wrote:

Futurama Festival - I believe it was the first one in '81; an alternative festival and it was staged at an ice-rink somewhere in deepest Wales. They put carpet tiles down on the ice surface itself and that was where we all got to hang out. Really strange 'cos the cold came right through the carpet, but nobody really cared. A proper party. PIL played; I hadn't heard any PIL to that time and was simply overwhelmed. That 1st album live is a monster.

Not sure how to break this to you, Charlie, but I think your memories playing tricks with you. PiL did play an earlier Futurama ('79 I think), but they didn't play at the one in Deeside (1982)

New Order headlined the Saturday night (missed that!) and The Damned on the Sunday with Dead Or Alive, Nico, Southern Death Cult, Danse Society also on the bill (I was there that night!)

Here's the poster!

https://ssl.sk-static.com/images/media/img/col4/20100102-183742-474244.jpg

You're right about the mats over the ice rink though - the cold soon came through the mats and your feet felt like blocks of ice. They had a lot of gigs there back then (I saw a number of bands there - The Jam, The Police, ABC, Bob Marley, Rainbow), all with the mats over the ice.

I remember that some people were trying to sleep on the ice at Futurama, in sleeping nags on top of those freezing mats. Rather them than me!

By God you're right mate; it just goes to show what tricks your memory can play on you. I was absolutely convinced that I saw PIL at Deeside....and they weren't there at all! Must have seen them some other time (no idea when). New Order I did see; after that, mushrooms were involved and I was lost on another plane for a good while. I collapsed underneath my Afghan by a bin outside the venue until a cop woke me up....which was more than a little disconcerting.

How can you have memories of something that didn't happen? Am I living in the Twilight Zone?!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index