Unsung Forum »
Sensational Gigs?

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Sensational Gigs?
Aug 22, 2013, 23:36
Most of the gigs I saw when I was 13-14 blew me away (Uriah Heep - gulp!, Sparks, Quo, etc), with the exception of The Faces who were disappointing.

After that I'd have to mention the following...

T.Rex (Manchester Apollo, 1977)
I'd finally seen Bolan the year before, but this one was awesome with the leaner looking Marc alternating between hits and Dandy In The Underworld tracks that I'd not heard till that night.

The Damned (Smartyz, Chester 1979)
One of a number of great Damned gigs I saw but I think I'd choose this one as my fave. Post-Bryan James leaving, pre-Machine Gun Etiquette release, live and loud in a smallish venue.

Teardrop Explodes / Echo & the Bunnymen (Art Centre, Chester 1979)
The start of a love affair. The Bunnymen were ace and I wondered how the Teardrops would follow them, but they did - and more. Saw them both together not long afterwards in Erics but this was miles better. Also seen some awesome Cope solo gigs, too many to list here, but will give a mention to the one in the Slade Rooms , Wolverhampton a few years back. That really was a good one!

Bob Marley & the Wailers (Deeside Leisure Centre, 1980)
A very chilled out affair. There would be only a handful of BM gigs after this and within a year he was gone.

The Smiths (Bangor Uni, 1983)
Tiny venue a short time before This Charming Man led to success beckoning. I was right at the front as Moz swung those gladioli around!

Loop (Manchester Boardwalk, 1987)
One of my fave groups of that time in a tiny club. A swirling cacophony!

Siouxsie & the Banshees / Suicide (Liverpool Royal Court, 1988)
The Banshees put on a great theatrical show. Suicide, back from nowhere with new material, were awesome though only a few of us scattered here and there thought so, as our cheers were almost drowned by booing, abuse and, well there's no other word for it, hatred. Hairs on yer neck time!

Happy Mondays (Manchester International, 1989)
Great bass playing pumping out out those rhythms. And Bez didn't let up all night!

Revolting Cocks (Manchester International, 1991)
They soundchecked as they went so the first few numbers were a bit ropey but then they got it sorted and wham! Chants of Luc Van Akker over those beats stick in my mind!

Brian Wilson (Festival Hall, London 2002)
There was a long period when imagining that you would see BW in the flesh seemed somewhat fanciful - I had even wished for it one New years Party! So this felt like a real occasion and the love in the audience was almost tangible.

Wire (Brighton Concorde, 2002)
Again I've seen lots of great Wire gigs, but this one was pretty ferocious!

The Nightingales (The Albert, Shrewsbury 2004)
The first time I'd seen them post-reformation, where they mixed some of the old faves with new stuff. Robert Lloyd left the rest playing at the end as he walked through the crowd to make his way to the bar. They were still playing as he supped! The one last year at Shrewsbury was ace, too.

Gang Of Four (Manchester Academy, 2005)
I liked GO4 but wouldn't class myself as a major fan, but they put on a great show on this comeback. Gill's guitar slashing was awesome, King's movements impressive.

Caribou (Talbot, Wrexham 2005)
Some of this was so fab that it sent shivers down my back. Dan Snaith's occasional drumming was as powerful as you could imagine.

Faust (Hendre Hall, Bangor 2005)
Electric power tools, a marching band and some great Kosmische riffs.
Also saw great gigs by The Raveonettes, Television and Pere Ubu that year, but I've got to try and keep the list down a bit!)

Wild Swans (Static, Liverpool 2009)
Their first two comeback gigs (I went both nights!) Another one where you could feel the love!

Low (Manchester Club Academy, 2011)
The opening Nothing But Heart was truly immense. It started with Sparhawk playing alone and sounding almost like Hendrix's take on Star Spangled Banner, before the rest of the band joined in. Up and up it built, with Sparhawk straining all kinds of sinews as he repeated that ‘nothing but heart’ line whilst Mimi sang angelically along. One of the best things I've ever seen live.

Iggy Pop (Chester Rocks 2011)
I'd seen Iggy a couple of times before and they were both ace, but I think I'd have to choose this as my fave and that's coming from someone who doesn't really do outdoor gigs too often. It was mainly Raw Power stuff with the Ig owning the stage like very few performers can - “I’m 123 years old so I can sing the fucking blues” he said before launching into a fabulous I Need Somebody.

Bo Ningen (Chester Compass, 2012)
I knew next to nothing about them except they were Japanese and they were supposed to be good live. The description 'Japanese experimental acid punks' made them sound worthy of checking out and thank god I did. They blew me away!

I'm gonna stop there!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index