Sensational Gigs?

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Sensational Gigs?
Aug 22, 2013, 02:26
Here's a few other goodies; dates and venues will be very sketchy!

Magma - Live in Bobino Theatre, Paris 27 and 30 May 1981: Got into Magma circa '79 and somehow got to hear about these gigs. I was at college, pretty much penniless and I just took off for Paris in the hope that I might get tickets over there! Madness, pure mania in full effect. How I got there and how I survived are a complete mystery to me. What I do remember is seeing Magma, a huge ensemble of shit hot musicians in bizarre costumes chanting away in an alien language about another world with the whole spectacle founded upon music based upon an epic jazz-orientated Space Opera. Staggering.

Cabaret Voltaire - sometime in the early '80's, somewhere in London. Mallinder playing a monster funk bass to that sparse electronic sound that the cabs excelled at. The show was seriously psychedelic - all colour wheels and those oil projector things. I was mesmerised. No idea what they played - it wasn't like that!

Death In June - a controversial one. Dubious boys with some of the nastiest most repulsive lyrics ever recorded. Such is the power of tracks like "We Drive East" and "Heaven Street" that some of their albums are tucked away in the den. I'm a leftie, so the prospect of actually seeing DIJ in the flesh was intimidating. When? About '05?, a special gig in London which brought the two main men from DIJ back together for a one off rendition of "The Guilty Have No Past" album. Mega-intense and mainlining on adrenaline as I wasn't about to take any shit from some neo-fascist in the crowd. We got out alive and DIJ were very disturbing.

Futurama Festival - I believe it was the first one in '81; an alternative festival and it was staged at an ice-rink somewhere in deepest Wales. They put carpet tiles down on the ice surface itself and that was where we all got to hang out. Really strange 'cos the cold came right through the carpet, but nobody really cared. A proper party. PIL played; I hadn't heard any PIL to that time and was simply overwhelmed. That 1st album live is a monster.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index