88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 04, 2013, 10:27
Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 04, 2013, 08:52
There is a lot to be said for having the capacity to be be serious and silly. As you say Cope is classic and he must hoot when people like me take some of his more ridiculous recent moments at face value (mainly involving guns and various phobias but not both at the same time).

U2 would fall into this categoy. They have been painfully aware of the grandiose stupidity of it all since the response to the corny po-faced nonsense that was Rattle and Hum. Winking at us hasn't stopped them making some pretty decent unironic records at the same time. There is certainly more than a C60s worth of really good rock tunes since 1990. People take the piss but I would take them over any other stadium act of recent times. Including the post 70s Stones.

Todd R is a big winker. I might also mention Blue Oyster Cult, Jellyfish, Queen, Be-Bop Deluxe and the Tubes before they stated taking their own cartoon genius as a serious threat to their musical credibility and financial prospects. Irony is that they could no more just decide to be a "real band" and have it work than Mud.

On a related subject and as we were saying the other day there is a lot to be said for enjoying music that you also know is really a bit shit. It can't all be Tilt, 'Trane, Turandot and Tavener. Where would the fun be in that?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index