IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 04, 2013, 07:16
Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 04, 2013, 06:43
Moon Cat wrote:
keith a wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Oasis had it and blew it (or snorted it as it were). Some genius tunes, and absolutely kicked the dust up, but ultimately crippled, as so many from this city before or since, by a slavish adherence to 'cool'.

Dunno about that last bit. I think you're first reference was more the issue with where and how it went wrong.

I disagree. Liam Gallagher is clearly terrified of looking 'silly', within his limited parameters, even though his cartoon snottidude persona is now looking a bit silly. There is an inherent conservatism (with a small c obviously) in both the Gallagher's modus operandi.

Well put. I agree with a lot of Dave Clarkson's assessment but when it comes to Oasis, being the kids in the back row who are all mouth and disruption indicates an incredibly conservative way of thinking. Anti intellectual. Non forward thinking. Its got nothing much to do with class really. It's a state of mind that is as common to the rich and the middle as to anyone else. Like the Pistols, Oasis made one very timely brash rock and roll statement and should have split up before it started to get corny.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index