When did indie music go tits up?

88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 03, 2013, 08:19
I don't think genres ever truly die as such, but for me the high-water mark was in its early, clear-eyed '80s days, although I do love a certain sound that was present in the beginning of the '90s with releases like Beat Happening's You Turn Me On (Godsend is my favourite indie song of all time!), Throwing Muses' The Real Ramona and Luna's Penthouse. Simulateneously to this, Britpop, in which revisionism and refried sounds were marketed as a new killa dilla exciting scene, may have mostly did it for England's indie output. I occasionally walk past an open stage on the seafront sometimes, see a young Indie band and think I'm witnessing some strange reanimated dinosaurs of some sort. For America, there are still a few things that trickle down which are worth a bash I guess, but the stench of irony is a hard one to shake off. I'd say Twee Pop could still potentially have some life in it, though. It's a pretty simple formula- good, ramshackle tunes delivered by unassuming geeks. Just s'long as it's not being intentionally put on, that is. Nothing worse than ersatz earnestness.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index