Unsung Forum »
When did indie music go tits up?

88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 03, 2013, 11:53
It's certainly an almost meaningless term genre-wise now (see also Singer Songwriter in a way). I mean, you'd find Coldplay, an arena straddling MOR act (not that there's anything wrong in such things existing IMO) filed under 'Indie' in a lot of record shops these days.

Post-Britpop, there seemed to be a positive deluge of 'indie' bands being chucked at you in the hope that something might stick. A few of them would probably even have one or two good songs but these might be diamonds in heap of dreary dreck. It's interesting that, when I'm out in about in Manchester and you see posters and flyers advertising a student-indie night in a club, it's almost always sold as an "80's/90's indie night"; almost a tacit admission that things were 'better' back in the day and that nostalgia rules the indie roost in the absence of anything truly astounding in the mainstream these days.

I'd say a lot of the music made by people on HH is a lot more indie in terms of the spirit of adventurousness than anything represented by yer standard boys with guitars fodder.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index