88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 07:50
Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 03, 2013, 07:25
depends on your perspective really, I'm reminded that the Birthday Party went to London in about 1980 expecting there to be a great creative scene going on where every band was as good as The Pop Group and instead found nothing to their taste. Said they went to Echo & The bunnymen at the Lyceum and were revolted.
So could go back even further than you think, but there were at least some creative underground artists at the time. Does seem to go in waves of something becoming big and then everythng else following it so becoming carbon copies while original bands get ignored.

I think there were interesting bands going on at the same time as Britpop etc but not sure what focus the media had at the time. I do remember the NME coming up with a genre they called stool at some point around there. I'm really hoping to find out taht that was satirical cos they'd be pretty dumb to not know taht indicated any bands involved were shit. But the way things were going at the time I wouldn't be surprised to find out they had no idea about the 2nd meaning of teh word.
The definition of indie changed a few times over the years too. There was a period where there were a lot of supposed Indie labels that actually had money coming from major label support and then a backlash against taht excluding any label with any major connection. Not sure if that took out a lot of promising bands as sell outs.

Would think that diminsihing amounts of venues might mean that bands had to cohere to more defined tropes re prevailing trends in order to actually get gigs. Which if it is the case would probably take out a lot of originality.
(might come back and re-edit this later cos I don't think I'm transferring a thought properly)

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index