When did indie music go tits up?

88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 23:30
Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 03, 2013, 22:44
Thought indie music turned to shit about the time of C86 when it was celebrated as a genre, with all the amateurish retro beach boys, VU and throwback groups leading onto all the shoegaze nonsense.
Post punk indie up to 1985 was good or at least interesting. 1986 onwards was mainly american music for me.... trouble funk, cool tempo records, chicago house. Wasn't listening to Sarah recs or catching the latest limited edition field mice 7 inch on inoffensive coloured vinyl. Only checking back into the indie or 'bands' genre every so often to hear the latest albums by the Fall, stuff on Mute or Factory (though that had turned to shit by then too) or records which had a bit of grit rather than a celebration of celibacy.

As an aside - I think Oasis weren't the downfall of indie. If anything I thought their debut album was a much appreciated steamroller over the likes of Ride etc. Oasis brought sex, drugs, drinking and misbehaving back to pop music in the 90s and was glad they did. We all know the aftermath, i.e britpop and their second album.... went stale very quickly but the brightest stars burn fastest...you could switch off from Dodgy or the Boo Radleys by getting into some great music at the time like Doc Scott, Photek or Goldie.

8)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index