When did indie music go tits up?

88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 04, 2013, 08:30
IanB wrote:

when it comes to Oasis, being the kids in the back row who are all mouth and disruption indicates an incredibly conservative way of thinking. Anti intellectual. Non forward thinking. Its got nothing much to do with class really. It's a state of mind that is as common to the rich and the middle as to anyone else. Like the Pistols, Oasis made one very timely brash rock and roll statement and should have split up before it started to get corny.

I think all this is harsh. Oasis were a good band who did what they did, but sadly with ever diminishing coked up returns. They wore their influences on their sleeve but they had their own sound because of it. As conservative as this might make them in the eyes of some, I don't think they are any more guilty of this than 90% of pop/rock acts who probably ended up with a less distinctive sound.

The problem with Oasis wasn't that they didn't split up (well it kinda was, but shouldn't have been!). It's that they believed their hype and thought they everything they touch was going to be brilliant. Hence their albums went on too long, they lost their edge and the ballads seem to out-number the more brash, instant thrills of something like Supersonic. If they'd have released a few more non-coked up sprawling albums rather than starting to believe they were the new Beatles they would have been all the better for it IMO.

That said there were still good moment along the way. I don't really listen to them these days but they were a pleasant diversion at the time, bringing some colour into the mainstream which, for those who of us who like a healthy singles chart (now sadly long gone!), was a good thing. And how many other bands could take a record like D'Ya Know What I Mean, which effectively sounds like a seven and a half minute mantra, to number one!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index