Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 04, 2013, 08:44
keith a wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
keith a wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
keith a wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Oasis had it and blew it (or snorted it as it were). Some genius tunes, and absolutely kicked the dust up, but ultimately crippled, as so many from this city before or since, by a slavish adherence to 'cool'.

Dunno about that last bit. I think you're first reference was more the issue with where and how it went wrong.

Liam Gallagher is clearly terrified of looking 'silly', within his limited parameters

That statement could refer to just about any 'rock star' you could think of.

Not really. I'd say there are loads of 'em that are completely aware of ridiculousness and are not afraid to embrace it. Dave Lee Roth, that band beginnning with "K" you like so much, Adam Ant (so much so he wrote a line about it), Slade, Ian Anderson, Bowie on occasion albeit through alter-egos, Devo, Andrew Eldritch, David Coverdale, Rob Halford, GWAR, Steel Panther, The Darkness, Mikael Akerfeldt, Robbie Williams, Cheap Trick, ALice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Iggy, John Lydon (when they trot out the Pistols),.... to name but a few.

Hmmm. They all have their own image and do what they do. Liam has his and does his thing. I can't imagine Andrew Eldritch going on The Muppet Show anymore than Liam. But if you're picking The Darkness you may as well go the whole hog and pick The Barron Knights.

It's not a case of 'going on the Muppet' show. It's about self-awareness and that there is very often an inherent ridiculousness in rock n roll or rock, and someone like Andrew Eldritch is clearly aware of that. I'd also add one Julian Cope to that list, especially given his pronouncements about being a 'cartoon'. That doesn't mean that all the work is 'silly' - it simply means that performers who possess that self-awareness are able to utelise inherently ridiculous things to their advantage. Cope has it. Ian McCulloch, for example does not. And neither does Liam, or he at least hides it very well. I'm not going to discuss the pros and cons of The Darkness with you, cos it's going to be pointless and its something we shall never agree upon.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index