Unsung Forum »
Gong vs. Hawkwind

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Re: Gong vs. Hawkwind
May 16, 2011, 13:35
You can't really compare these 2 bands - both completely different sound-wise. However, as much as i enjoy In Search Of Space, Doremi, Space Ritual and Warrior On The Edge Of Time, it's Gong and family the whole way. I think it's mainly down to their ability as musicians and variance in sound. Camembert, Magick Brother, Continental Circus, Angel's Egg and You are superb, multi-faceted albums (never really been a big fan of Flying Teapot tho). Also, if you look at the amazing amount of related Gong releases (Daevid Allen, Steve Hillage, NY Gong, Planet Gong, Mother Gong, Gilli Smyth solo - check out her incredible 'Mother' album (which uses unreleased early Gong recordings as background music!) - Pierre Moerlen's Gong, Gongmaison etc etc etc) there's so much great music affiliated. Hawkwind, for me, just don't have that wealth of affiliation - i heard a Dave Brock album, Earthed To The Ground, which was ok, but compare it to anything Daevid Allen has done and it was flat and frankly not that interesting. I quite like Inner City Unit, but again it's quite basic. You've also got Tim Blake who worked with both bands - check out his first 2 albums - both great. Of course it's all subjective to what you like to listen to, but for me it's Gong the whole way.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index