IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2011, 10:23
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 16th January 2011 CE
Jan 18, 2011, 10:10
paradox wrote:
Cheers!

Unfinished picture, certainly sounds interesting enough for me to purchase, so I shall put it on my list of To Buy's....

Thanks again.

Good luck with it. Ayers / Harper / Donovan fans could really get into it this album.

He's probably one of those smarter-than-the-room guys who put the kitchen sink into their records just because they can. I am also not sure when he is indulging in parody / taking the piss and when it is straight from the heart. Like 10cc I am not sure it really matters that much.

Oh and Simon "Penguin Cafe" Jeffes is all over it.

I have no clue who would have bought this in 73. Your average Purple fan wouldn't have got into it I don't think.

The only info on his web site is about promo and a record company cock up ...

"By David McIver: "When we made "Unfinished Picture", we persuaded the record company to engage an advertising agency to promote the release. That was a very unusual thing in those days. The Agency came up with a promo gimmick consisting of a huge plastic watercolor paint box. Inside were lots of "goodies" including illustrations for each track done by Trevor Smith and Dave Juniper of Wurlitzer and a neat booklet with the lyrics printed and all the track/musician info, pics and stuff like that.

I can't remember how many paintboxes were made, but it was a very limited edition and sent only to record reviewers. The release of Unfinished Picture was something of a joke. We went to all the trouble of advertising and paintboxes and stuff like that, only to discover that, through an error, followed by a strike at the record pressing plant, only something like 500 LP's were released. They sold out on the first day and no more were available for 6 months. The record received splendid reviews as I recall, but by the time copies were available, the heat was off. We were very disappointed. As Roop's debut as a producer, the album was remarkable."

I must get a copy of "Pick Up A Bone" as it is the same team.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index