Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2011, 22:56
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 16th January 2011 CE
Jan 16, 2011, 20:23
Stooges Have some Fun :Live at Ungano's
Interesting set, since it's about 10 days after the classic line-up of the 1st 2 lps ceased to be. Though that could be dated a bit earlier since Dave Alexander was slowly slipping into the alcoholism that eventually killed him. He got sacked at Goose Lake since too incapacitated to do more than stand like a rabbit in the headlights of the largest crowd the band had yet played to. So here he's replaced by roady Zeke Zettner and a 2nd guitarist, Billy Cheatham has been added too. Not sure how long this line-up lasted or hopw much it played.
They sound ok here. Sound is about on par with the 1000 Lights set that I thought it would surpass. Anyway good to hear a full set by a version of the Stooges around the time Funhouse was recorded. Think this is limited so grab it while you can.
1000 Lights is also very interesting & mops up the rest of that era Stooges stuff. Wish I still had the Real Wild Child book since it had details as to what was recorded of the band live.

Orchestre Poly-rytmo de Cotonou Volume one The Vodoun Effect
The one with the 2 band members standing in karate poses on the front cover. Reason being an over zealous fan attacked them for not playing the same song for a 3rd time. This is the more lo-fi of the 2 volume, recorded surreptitiously for small labels as opposed to the up to date recording studios used for their more mainstream stuff.
Took a while to grow on me but I'm loving it now. Would probably be staying on my 3 changer stereo for a longer duration if i hadn't picked up so much stuff over Xmas I want to listen to.

Can Flow Motion
Picked up this and Landed over Xmas, not really heard their studio stuff this late much before. Was thinking of getting Saw Delight too, so will have to wait to hear that. Apparently they lost a deal of their spontaneity when they moved onto a more advanced recording set up & no longer had to play at the same time to get recorded. This still sounds really awesome, in some places almost literally.

Kevin Ayers Bananamour
Hadn't really heard this either before picking it up after the Wire gig. Not sure why, great lp. Comes from '73 and features Steve Hillage before he joined Gong.

Tame Impala Free Rough Trade lp
Rough Trade version of lp came with free 2nd cd of bits and pieces including a cover of the Blueboy song which works pretty well.
Australian lo-fi psych revivalists. Interesting band, better than I expected really.

Teeth Of The Sea Your Mercury
I like the builds on this. Seemed to be pretty good live too. Bought their first at the gig too but had to send myself the disc since my suitcase was overweight so will hopefully appear tomorrow. Think first lp snarled/seethed a bit more.
Wish i had some material by Mollusc who supported them at Madame Jojos, was most impressed by them.

Steve Miller Blues Band Live '67
Reading interviews with members of Country Joe & The fish from Mojo Navigator in the Bomp book this band were getting dissed for playing blues way too fast. I think they were just adapting things to their own style. I don't think I've really heard them this early before. I love the spaciousness of the next year's sailor lp but this is pretty fine. Instrumental music is pretty trippy.

Foals Paleo Festival 21/7/10
Had been wanting to find out what this band sounded like since their lp was going very cheap in London and made year end lists in a few places. It's ok, I actually enjoyed bits of it quite a bit. Might pick up the record or not as the case may be.

Golden Mr Roboto Wilkinsburg Pa 7/6/2000
This was intriguing, turned up before I headed to London, only heard it over the last couple of days. I know the later band Extra Golden which features a couple of the band's members combined with a couple of Kenyan Luo Benga players. I like that later material.
Also like a lot of this, found it odd cos it reminded me of Man/Help Yourself with some Beefheart choogle and it had been described as post-rock. Interesting

Sun Ra Ann Arbor '79
I like this period, the turn of the 70s to 80s and about 2 years either side. Seems to feature a lot of electric material in spacefunk style combined with his earlier swing roots.
I find the electric deep space stuff by them to be the best anyway, I was introduced to them by Strange Celestial Road which remains one of the main guideposts to what I most like by them.

Pop Group 31/12/10 Hammersmith
Thought I might get to this gig, but didn't happen. They still sound pretty similar to their original era, I thought youtube clips I saw earlier had jazz-funk leanings which was a bit worrying. When the band initially formed i don't think any of them could really play and their ambition far outstretched their chops. 30years later meant 30 years better technique which went against the avant-garage nature of the sound. Thankfully this doesn't reek of chops. There is a great deal of echo being used in the sound here too, presumably intending to ape the freefall sound of Blackbeard Bovell's studio production?

film
True Grit
watched a boot this afternoon, somewhat marred by glare on tv but film itself seems pretty great. Think I prefer bioth Jeff Bridges and the 14 year old girl as portrayals of their characters to the john Wayne 'original'. Not sure if Kim Darby was supposed to be 14, but this works better with that character seeming to be that age. Seems like the title may refer as much to her as Cogburn who's said to posses the quality.

Sister rosetta Tharpe bio on BBC4. Only half watched that on Friday distracted by other stuff having only recently got back here. Heard enough of her material now to know I want to investigate further.

Bruce springsteen '78 stuff. Again half watched it and wish I'd been more focused. Pretty interesting anyway.

books
Shepperon Babylon
started reading this before I left London, had almost left it behind there as I did with Keith Richards, Nick Kent, John Peel and Jeanette Leech. It had taken me a couple of years to get anywhere in the book, think I picked it up in a sale a while back and not proceeded beyond the first chapter. But it is an interesting read. Gives the history of British cinema as well as background scandal etc. Looking forward to getting through it.

Small Faces Young Mod's Forgotten Story, started this and am just reading the introduction of Steve Marriott. Some great photos of the band in here, think this may be their definitive bio, nopt sure though. Have been after this for ages so glad it's finally reappeared.

picked up a cheap copy of the 2008 Penguin guide to classical music in a sale yesterday. Not sure if it'll be much help or if it being a couple years old is going to effect anything. Might be something of a pointyer to the genre(s).

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index