Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 16th January 2011 CE

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 16th January 2011 CE
Jan 16, 2011, 23:11
Tender Buttons – Broadcast
I had to play some Broadcast, although Ha Ha Sound is my personal favourite. RIP.

Singles 86-98 – Depeche Mode
I was never a massive DM fan but would buy the odd 7” single - some of which are gathered here (Barrel Of A Gun, Never Let Me Down Again and the fabulous Enjoy The Silence). It’s also nice to have some of the ones I didn’t buy, especially Personal Jesus which continues to grow in stature.

The Cutter – Echo & the Bunnymen
A right mish-mash of a compilation, but some great tracks all the same. Their covers of Paint It Black and All You Need Is Love aren’t great though, are they? I also played The Back Of Love this week. I always liked the two tracks on the b-side (Fuel and The Subject), but I’m not sure I expected them to still sound this good. Fuel in particular is fab!

6 Track EP – Elastica
I liked the Elastica debut album. Sure it ripped off Wire, but then Wire are one of my favourite all-time groups and they were pretty much done and dusted back then so it was fun to hear those rhythms again. By the time Elastica eventually released something else at the end of the 90’s, however, it felt like they’d had their moment and I gave this a wide berth – despite the presence of Mark E Smith (I’d pretty much lost interest in The Fall in the late 90’s before The Unutterable got me interested again). I heard this ep recently though and had to get a copy as there are some really good moments here. And the MES track is rather fab as it happens!

Galaxsea - Lunar Dunes
Ian B of this parish, come on down! I won’t say too much about this forthcoming album as yet other than to say a very big well done. There are some seriously good moments here.

Red Barked Tree – Wire
This has got a lot of play here this week. I like it a lot. There’s the odd dissenter in Wire fan circles but they’re a definite minority and TBH I can’t see how anyone who has ever liked Wire could possibly not like this. There’s a bit of early Wire, 80’s Wire, Send-like Wire – and more! It’s like Wire’s thirty odd year old career and their future has been rolled onto one record. Also been listening to their recent BBC 6 Session.

ALSO...
X – The Beloved
Swim – Caribou
Head First – Goldfrapp
Coles Corner – Richard Hawley
Our Secret Ceremony – Julie’s Haircut
His’n’Hers – Pulp
Disconnect From Desire - School Of Seven Bells
S/T – T.Rex
S/T – Violent Femmes
The Mod Scene – V/A

Plus live / session / alternate versions of stuff by Gentle Giant, Rolling Stones, Bowie and Liars.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index