Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE
Nov 02, 2009, 20:04
IanB wrote:
Five wrote:

It's good to hear someone else is diggin on the Billy Cox action - one of my biggest bass influences to be sure! Likewise the bottom end on any Burning Spear disc... And come to think of it, you're no slouch yourself!!

You are too kind. Billy Cox's playing on Isle of Wight is economy in action. I don't know how much it is true that Jimi coached him note-for-note but he has a restraint that very few rock bass players in that era had. He would have made a great reggae bassist come to think of it. And it is hard to think of too many Americans who can play that music well. One of a kind Mr Cox for sure.

Yeah - Billy Cox is really Aston Barrett in another not-too-distant dimension. My impression has always been that Billy and Jimi worked out the riffs and patterns together through hours of jamming both plugged in and quietly late-night. Interesting too - I was saying just days ago that reggae was one of the few areas Jimi never touched on, probably the timing was wrong, although his influence on dub or at least synchronicity with it is considerable.

And yeah, D1, knowing each other for awhile definitely built up the psychic brainwave connection between those two dudes, there's nothing like it for sympatico musico!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index