Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE

54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE
Nov 01, 2009, 14:06
Deep Purple 'Shades Of Deep Purple', 'The Book Of Taliesyn' and 'Deep Purple' - had a real good time getting to know the three Mk 1 Purple albums again over the last couple of weeks, particularly the self-titled third album which was the first full length rock album I ever heard. Liberally spiked with cover versions they may be, and time-locked in the late 60's by tinny production, Rod Evans' Humperdinck-like vocals and Nicky Simper's clunky bass sound, but I love these records on their own terms and without regard for the great things that followed them under the Purple moniker;

801 '801 Live' - fine 1976 concert recording by an impressive band of ex-Roxy, Curved Air and Matching Mole luminaries. I haven't heard the new expanded version of this: anyone got an opinion?

Bruce Springsteen 'Working On A Dream' - I think The Boss is making the best music of his career now: there's much more introspection and genuine heart in his last three or four albums. This latest record delivers on every level to me and is a serious contender for my album of the year;

David Bowie 'David Bowie' - the sound of '69 resounds again chez Fitter via this beautifully remastered deluxe edition. Great to hear the 45 version of 'Memory Of A Free Festival' which has eluded me this long;

Tangerine Dream 'Zeit' - four great continents of (mostly) electronic sound. The title track is the eeriest music ever to hit vinyl and is ideal Halloween music!

Wagner 'Lohengrin' (Kubelík/BRSO et al) - superb 1971 recording of one of Wagner's most approachable and least bombastic operas, featuring a terrific Elsa in Gundula Janowitz and masterful conducting by the great Rafael Kubelík. I had an Act of this a night midweek and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Not even the dreadful Gwyneth Jones can spoil this, try though she does to do so;

Continuing the classical vibe, I'm working my way though Ernest Ansermet's long-forgotten Beethoven symphony cycle, newly reissued on Australian Eloquence, and what a pleasing experience it is. There's plenty of individual touches without any agogic distortion of this great music, and overall I'm getting the impression that there was far more to this conductor's talents than the French music with which he is most associated. L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande may not have been world class (they are now), but they always played with great spirit under Ansermet, as here. Great stuff.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index