how's that Dylan christmas record, then? I'm curious for sure
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2009, 13:58
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE
Nov 01, 2009, 10:48
Hendrix - Isle of Wight
Hendrix may have been thirty three sheets to the wind by the time they made it on to the stage and his own performance seriously patchy but I love Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell on this. Stoner rock that is still cogent and funk filled. Far prefer the Polydor vinyl to the reissue with the full set.

Jimi Plays Berkeley (2 sets)
More of the same but with JH on top of his game. Another one of those deceptively great Billy Cox performances. You can learn almost all there is to know about bass playing from his playing with Hendrix. The Glenn McGrath of line and length bassists.

George Faith - To Be A Lover
A Lee Perry produced album that is in the same league of seductive late night classics as "Lets Get It On". Under celebrated at the time by rock critics because of its lack of "conscious" content, this is a record that seems to be travel forward with no visible means of propulsion or suspension. Less Lovers Rock than Lovers Space Rock. The heavily celebrated "Heart of the Congos" (the reggae equivalent of Neville Bros "Yellow Moon")is all very well but to my ears this is the superior record.

Burning Spear - Social Living, Living Dub Vol 1
Up there with "Brand", "Umoja", "Dub Factor" and "Super Ape for a continuous, album length dub experience.

Rainbow - Rising & Catch The Rainbow
These records and "Heaven and Hell" are pretty much where prog flavoured 70s metal ended for me as a serious thing. After this it was all about the economy of "Highway to Hell" and Van Halen.

Marillion - Happiness is the Road
As with a lot of recent releases from Marillion (and Hammill for that matter) it can take a year to sink in. This their 2008 effort has its longeurs but when it kicks off (as on the title track) it's very very good mainstream progressive rock somewhere between Talk Talk, Blue Nile, Porcupine Tree and 80s Crimson.

Ann Peebles - How Strong Is Woman
When you've had enough of X Factor and the self proclaimed divas of contemporary r&b you can refresh the sonic batteries with this set. Possibly too long at 2 hours 20 but there are more than enough Willie Mitchell produced gems in here to make the 2 disc purchase worth the extra money.
Buck Flair
Buck Flair
796 posts

Nov 01, 2009, 13:55
Speed, Glue & Shinki - Eve

Annie Ross & Tony Kinsey Quintet - Loguerhythms (Songs From The Establishment)

Agnes Bernelle - Fathers Lying Dead On The Ironing Board

Peter Cook & Dudley Moore - Once Moore With Cook (Still best version of Frog a la peche available)

Kinks - Village Green Presevation Society

Steve Wickham - Geronimo

White Hills - Dead

Faust - Faust IV

Funkadelic - Ultimate Funkadelic

Holy McGrail - Burning Holy Rome
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Nov 01, 2009, 14:06
Deep Purple 'Shades Of Deep Purple', 'The Book Of Taliesyn' and 'Deep Purple' - had a real good time getting to know the three Mk 1 Purple albums again over the last couple of weeks, particularly the self-titled third album which was the first full length rock album I ever heard. Liberally spiked with cover versions they may be, and time-locked in the late 60's by tinny production, Rod Evans' Humperdinck-like vocals and Nicky Simper's clunky bass sound, but I love these records on their own terms and without regard for the great things that followed them under the Purple moniker;

801 '801 Live' - fine 1976 concert recording by an impressive band of ex-Roxy, Curved Air and Matching Mole luminaries. I haven't heard the new expanded version of this: anyone got an opinion?

Bruce Springsteen 'Working On A Dream' - I think The Boss is making the best music of his career now: there's much more introspection and genuine heart in his last three or four albums. This latest record delivers on every level to me and is a serious contender for my album of the year;

David Bowie 'David Bowie' - the sound of '69 resounds again chez Fitter via this beautifully remastered deluxe edition. Great to hear the 45 version of 'Memory Of A Free Festival' which has eluded me this long;

Tangerine Dream 'Zeit' - four great continents of (mostly) electronic sound. The title track is the eeriest music ever to hit vinyl and is ideal Halloween music!

Wagner 'Lohengrin' (Kubelík/BRSO et al) - superb 1971 recording of one of Wagner's most approachable and least bombastic operas, featuring a terrific Elsa in Gundula Janowitz and masterful conducting by the great Rafael Kubelík. I had an Act of this a night midweek and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Not even the dreadful Gwyneth Jones can spoil this, try though she does to do so;

Continuing the classical vibe, I'm working my way though Ernest Ansermet's long-forgotten Beethoven symphony cycle, newly reissued on Australian Eloquence, and what a pleasing experience it is. There's plenty of individual touches without any agogic distortion of this great music, and overall I'm getting the impression that there was far more to this conductor's talents than the French music with which he is most associated. L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande may not have been world class (they are now), but they always played with great spirit under Ansermet, as here. Great stuff.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Nov 01, 2009, 14:28
Five wrote:
how's that Dylan christmas record, then? I'm curious for sure

I've only listened to it once
so far , i like it overall , though
Bobby's 50 + years of smoking
voice is a tad hard to listen to
at times .

Will go well next to the Beach Boy's
and Jethro Tull Christmas albums .
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 01, 2009, 14:51
Birchville Cat Motel-Beautiful Speck Triumph-5stardrone
Springsteen-The River-hardly listen to this as the live versions make this sound rather weedy, certainly in the against corner in the 80s production debate
Who-By Numbers,Next
Pete Townshend-Who Came First,Roundhouse 74-
Flaming Groovies-Supersnazz
Van Halen-S/t
Johnny Cash-At San Quentin
Hendrix-Woodstock
Neu-75
MC5-KOTJ,USA,High Times-today I am mostly thinking the 5 are way better than the Stooges, will probably change my mind when I listen to the Stooges next
Fish-Suits
Misfits-Earth AD-for helloween
Julian Cope-Jehovahkill
Bong-S/t
Diodaar-Rust Coloured Air Brush Stroke
Om-God is Good not sure about God but this is good
Pere Ubu-Data Panik In The Year Zero only listened to disc1 & 4 so far, but top quality so far
Shrinebuilder-S/t initial listens were a bit of a let down, was expecting something amazing, but repeated listening has it growing on me, could do with a decent singer and a few more memorable riffs, but the bits where it gets going are superb, mostly where it gets either post rock like or psychsabbathy, and track 2 sounds like the Nephelim which is always a good thing in my book
Jodis-Secret House Plotkin,Turner,Wyskida doing the postdoom thing, this is superb, loads of space to move about, imagine a user friendly Khanate who instead of wanting to bury you face down in a cess pit want you to float on a big bong cloud as the elements blow you hither & thither
if you've seen the film UP,imagine the bit where the balloon house fades into the clouds on an endless loop , now convert that to sound, that's what Jodis sound like.It seems that this is now 2 years old so I have no idea if they will follow it up but keeping fingers crossed

went to see UP at the pictures, whilst the basic plot was probably written on the back of a receipt the bit about the old man growing up was well emotional, certainly had me welling up. the broken dog translator was a stroke of genius too so all in all a success.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Nov 01, 2009, 16:50
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Eno and Harmonia - Tracks and Traces (2009 reissue)
Brian Eno - Before and After Science
Two great examples of what Mr Eno was doing in the second half of the 70s. Parts of Tracks and Traces could fit onto a 1990s Autechre/Boards set without anyone asking questions.

Buzzcocks - Screen on the Green, Islington 29.8.1976 and Band on the Wall, 8.11.1976. Audience recordings of Devoto era, pre-record Buzzcocks. Top stuff!

The Fall - Band on the Wall (August 1978). Pre-record Fall, too! Mr Smith may have been partaking of interesting substances before this one.

Cabaret Voltaire - The Paradiso, Amsterdam 24.9.1980. Terrific set by original Cabs line-up.

The The (Matt Johnson) - Blue Burning Soul. Mr Sunshine's first effort, and very impressive it is.

New Order - various UK gigs from March and April 1981. A band still finding their feet, including the first outings of tracks like Denial and Doubts Even Here. These gigs were played in the few weeks leading up to the recording of their first album, Movement. Despite the poor sound - these are audience recordings - the music is very powerful.

Close Lobsters - Forever, Until Victory! Excellent compilation of Scottish C86 band's A + B sides.

New Order - Technique. Still guaranteed to thrill.

Kristin Hersh - Strings EP. Wonderful single comprising chamber versions of four tracks from her wonderful debut solo album Hips and Makers. "Me and My Charms" in particular is spine-tingling.

Bad Lieutenant - Never Cry Another Tear. I'm persevering in the hope this will suddenly grab me, but it isn't happening so far. First two tracks are pretty good (until you listen to "Ceremony" or "Vanishing Point" or several dozen other New Order tracks in comparison).
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Nov 01, 2009, 17:04
not much different from last weeks

The Watersons - Frost and Fire
Sharron Kraus & Friends - Right Wantonly A-Mumming
V/A - John Barleycorn Reborn
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Funkadelic - Standing on the Verge of Getting It On
James Brown - The Payback
Isaac Hayes - Shaft OST

and yesterday my halloween evening out was soundtracked by these fine gents and ladies doing their fox dance, totally awesome they were too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GqAAfKbp20
1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2009, 17:15
Nov 01, 2009, 17:15
Goblin : Suspiria

Goblin : Zombi/Dawn Of The Dead

Bob Marley : Black Ark Sessions -I Know A Place , Who Colt The Game
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index