54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE
Nov 01, 2009, 19:20
Fitter Stoke wrote:

801 '801 Live' - fine 1976 concert recording by an impressive band of ex-Roxy, Curved Air and Matching Mole luminaries. I haven't heard the new expanded version of this: anyone got an opinion?

I've heard a few bits of the new edition and it sounded great.
A mate of mine has it and I seem to recall he said there were 'rehearsal' versions of some of the tracks on an extra disc.
I also seemed to noticed that 'Lagrima' didn't fade in as on the original LP and there is a good version of Eno's "Golden Hours" from the AGW album.
The stormer is their version of "Tomorrow Never Knows", it sounded great remastered.

I've always really liked "801 Live", the drumming from Simon Phillips is fantastic, in fact everyone plays a blinder, it really is a corker of a live album, I always thought Eno's vocals were really good too.
What a great sound they had, they were certainly ahead of their time.
I think they influenced a lot of the post-punk stuff, but the album never had the recognition it deserved imho
Just realised that Charles Hayward of This Heat was in the original line-up of Quiet Sun, Phil Manzanera's group before he joined Roxy and there are a couple of QS tracks on the album, so it's 'back to the future' in a strange way

Another one to get sometime.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index