54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE
Nov 01, 2009, 16:50
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Eno and Harmonia - Tracks and Traces (2009 reissue)
Brian Eno - Before and After Science
Two great examples of what Mr Eno was doing in the second half of the 70s. Parts of Tracks and Traces could fit onto a 1990s Autechre/Boards set without anyone asking questions.

Buzzcocks - Screen on the Green, Islington 29.8.1976 and Band on the Wall, 8.11.1976. Audience recordings of Devoto era, pre-record Buzzcocks. Top stuff!

The Fall - Band on the Wall (August 1978). Pre-record Fall, too! Mr Smith may have been partaking of interesting substances before this one.

Cabaret Voltaire - The Paradiso, Amsterdam 24.9.1980. Terrific set by original Cabs line-up.

The The (Matt Johnson) - Blue Burning Soul. Mr Sunshine's first effort, and very impressive it is.

New Order - various UK gigs from March and April 1981. A band still finding their feet, including the first outings of tracks like Denial and Doubts Even Here. These gigs were played in the few weeks leading up to the recording of their first album, Movement. Despite the poor sound - these are audience recordings - the music is very powerful.

Close Lobsters - Forever, Until Victory! Excellent compilation of Scottish C86 band's A + B sides.

New Order - Technique. Still guaranteed to thrill.

Kristin Hersh - Strings EP. Wonderful single comprising chamber versions of four tracks from her wonderful debut solo album Hips and Makers. "Me and My Charms" in particular is spine-tingling.

Bad Lieutenant - Never Cry Another Tear. I'm persevering in the hope this will suddenly grab me, but it isn't happening so far. First two tracks are pretty good (until you listen to "Ceremony" or "Vanishing Point" or several dozen other New Order tracks in comparison).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index